Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User Logging
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting User Logging Post 302886883 by Neo on Tuesday 4th of February 2014 06:38:50 AM
Old 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dagio
Generally i think is usefull to have it specially in environments where many users uses the same account to login to the server, i know is not safe, but happened a lot, specially in test systems.
Well, sorry to inform you but you are wrong.

I have worked in many test, development and production environments in both big and small companies.

Never, one time, did any company permit a single login for multiple users. Never.

It is a violation of most company policies to do this and any company or system admin who would permit this is in the wrong job; as it is a basic, very basic, duty of a system admin to insure that there is one login per person, and an audit trait for each user; especially if the users have superuser privileges.

If a sys admin worked for me that insisted on a single login for multiple users, I would simply fire them immediately.

I'm going to close this thread, because we have already advised the OP on what he should do and why he should do it; and it's best we set an example of what are "best practices" and "acceptable practices" versus supporting bad ideas which are against policy at most companies.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User logging log

Hi, Does anybody knows is there a way or how to records user logging record? thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Tracing a user and logging his actions

Dear All, I want to enable the tracing for a user and logging all things he do in a log file.......... Thaaanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Issue with user logging in to HP UX Server

Hi, I wonder if anyone is able to assist me. I have a HP UX server and some HP UX workstations that has been migrated from another network. I have changed the IP Addresses and everything seems to be working fine. However, the users are complaining that they are unable to login to the UX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michaelgim
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possibility of logging into linux machine when the user does not exist locally

Hi, I am trying authenticate ssh users login using third party server (radius) instead of local system authentication. I have modified my /etc/pam.d/sshd with required server auth configuration and able to authenticate user using radius server and the user is able to ssh into this linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhandapanik
2 Replies

5. AIX

Logging user logins

I want to know how I can turn off and turn on login logging. We have a server that appears to have stopped logging user logins. Running the who command shows nothing and the last command shows no logins for a month. The var/adm/wtmp file isn't full and there is plenty of space in the var file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Constant Logging In (After Logging Out)

Hi Everyone. First, I want to thank all of you for letting me participate in this great group. I am having a bit of a problem. After I get an email from a responder, I login to make my reply. In the mean time I get another response by email from another member, I go to reply to them and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to avoid logging with root user?

I have created a linux machine and installed some softwares on it with root user privileges . I used to login with root user credentials for doing the various task. Later i have realise that this is not the best practice to follow and there should be a new user with less privileges to be created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Logging User Sessions

Hello, I am using a Linux server (Ubuntu 11.04 Server) to host some files and a code repository. Because we are using ssh + svn to connect to the repository, our users have normal ssh access. What I would like to do is log their user sessions so that I have an audit trail in the event that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisb1609
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User account logging

Hi - I want to log commands typed by oraapps user with time into some log file on runtime. HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " works but any one with oraapps user can delete the history. OS : RHEl 5.6 Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
5 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
ftpusers(4)							   File Formats 						       ftpusers(4)

NAME
ftpusers - file listing users to be disallowed ftp login privileges SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftpusers DESCRIPTION
The ftpusers file lists users for whom ftp login privileges are disallowed. Each ftpuser entry is a single line of the form: name where name is the user's login name. The FTP Server, in.ftpd(1M), reads the ftpusers file. If the login name of the user matches one of the entries listed, it rejects the login attempt. The ftpusers file has the following default configuration entries: root daemon bin sys adm lp uccp nuucp smmsp listen nobody noaccess nobody4 These entries match the default instantiated entries from passwd(4). The list of default entries typically contains the superuser root and other administrative and system application identities. The root entry is included in the ftpusers file as a security measure since the default policy is to disallow remote logins for this iden- tity. This policy is also set in the default value of the CONSOLE entry in the /etc/default/login file. See login(1). If you allow root login privileges by deleting the root entry in ftpusers, you should also modify the security policy in /etc/default/login to reflect the site security policy for remote login access by root. Other default entries are administrative identities that are typically assumed by system applications but never used for local or remote login, for example sys and nobody. Since these entries do not have a valid password field instantiated in shadow(4), no login can be per- formed. If a site adds similar administrative or system application identities in passwd(4) and shadow(4), for example, majordomo, the site should consider including them in the ftpusers file for a consistent security policy. Lines that begin with # are treated as comment lines and are ignored. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftpusers A file that lists users for whom ftp login privileges are disallowed. /etc/ftpusers See /etc/ftpd/ftpusers. This file is deprecated, although its use is still supported. /etc/default/login /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The interface stability for /etc/ftpd/ftpusers is Volatile. The interface stability for /etc/ftpusers is (Obsolete). SEE ALSO
login(1), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftphosts(4), passwd(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.11 1 May 2003 ftpusers(4)