Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run script every minute and terminate after specified number of executions Post 302886754 by RudiC on Monday 3rd of February 2014 12:35:23 PM
Old 02-03-2014
Don't have it started by cron every minute. Run it once, execute a loop 10 times, sleep for not quite a minute in that loop, and exit gracefully.

And, why don't you give us a broader picture of what you want to achive? We might be able to help you better, then, instead of supplying bits and pieces here and there...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate session on completing script

Hai all.. How do i terminate my telnet session automatically when my java applicatiion exits. i have a file run which executes my java application and takes care of all class and library path settings prior to the execution. I would like to terminate my session when my application exits. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepsteptom
4 Replies

2. Programming

how can i run a process for a whole minute?

here's the problem, i have two processes that i need to run and both process should be run at a total of 1 minute each. how do i do that? and one more here's what the processes do: the 1st process show the '+" sign infinitely while the 2nd process displays the "-" infinitely. how could i count the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kelogs1347
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

run script 1 minute interval without CronTab

I am using Solaris 9. I wish to run my script every 1 minute inteval. Though i can run it using below entry in crontab. * * * * /export/home/username/script/file_exist_&_run.sh in short above script will check whether a specific file exist in a directory. If it found it will inovke another... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh Script to get the start minute of n number of process

How can i write a script.? which lists all X process and gets the start minute of each of them. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anteus
1 Replies

5. AIX

My script didn't run every run every minute at cronjob

In my cronjob, I would like to schedule my script.sh to run every minutes. I crontab -e and have in line below but it didn't seems to run at all. * * * * * script.sh When I run it manually, I can run it. Is that anything wrong with the above line? If I change it to something like below,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngaisteve1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh: not run script (if: Badly formed number)

Hello I have Linux Debian & tcsh shell. My mini script not run :(. Startup script displays a message: user@host:dir% ./test if: Badly formed number. script: #!/bin/tcsh -f #script check size files systems set x = `df -h /usr | tail -n1 | awk '{ print( $5 ); }'` set y = 60% if ($x... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: moskovets
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot run crontab :1: bad minute error

Hi can any one help me out. while running crontab , m getting error bad minute time.. how to resolve this error. i created 1 txt file a.cron mirrordir -vm \home\t \homet1 & i saved it. then i created a crontab file ..with crontab -e & i added a line in it. * 1 * * * \root\a.cron & i save... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unxdost114
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pausing between two executions in a shell script

HI, Please help me on this. I have to execute 100 scripts which i have redirected in to a file . I want to pause the script after first execution and once i say enter key word it has to go to next execution. My looks like for RUNFILES in `cat ${SOURCEFILES}/scripts` do echo $RUNFILES; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srichunduru
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use counter to run the script to limit number?

I want to run my shell script to the limit number.Suppose I know in advance that MAX=5 then I want that my script run 5 times only.Something like below$ vi testingMAX=5COMMAND="ssh -l stpuser VHLDVWSAD001 /projects/st/utils/deploy/deployall.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &" ; sleep 20;count=0while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script in a loop with max number of threads

hi guys. i have a question for you i have a one file and inside this file there are 1000 lines and each line is a linux command running this commands takes long time so i want to create one bash script and run this lines in a loop with max number of threads for example i want to run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtaritet
2 Replies
CRON(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   CRON(8)

NAME
cron -- daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-n] [-x debugflags] DESCRIPTION
cron is normally started during system boot by rc.d(8) framework, if cron is switched on in rc.conf(5). It will return immediately so you don't have to start it with '&'. cron searches /var/cron/tabs for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd. Crontabs found are loaded into memory. cron also searches for /etc/crontab which is in a different format (see crontab(5)). Finally cron looks for crontabs in /etc/cron.d if it exists, and executes each file as a crontab. When cron looks in a directory for crontabs (either in /var/cron/tabs or /etc/cron.d) it will not process files that: - Start with a '.' or a '#'. - End with a '~' or with ``.rpmsave'', ``.rpmorig'', or ``.rpmnew''. - Are of zero length. - Their length is greater than MAXNAMLEN. cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When executing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Events such as START and FINISH are recorded in the /var/log/cron log file with date and time details. This information is useful for a num- ber of reasons, such as determining the amount of time required to run a particular job. By default, root has an hourly job that rotates these log files with compression to preserve disk space. Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab or /etc/cron.d) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted when- ever a crontab file is modified. Note that the crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. The following options are available: -x This flag turns on some debugging flags. debugflags is comma-separated list of debugging flags to turn on. If a flag is turned on, cron writes some additional debugging information to system log during its work. Available debugging flags are: sch scheduling proc process control pars parsing load database loading misc miscellaneous test test mode - do not actually execute any commands bit show how various bits are set (long) ext print extended debugging information -n Stay in the foreground and don't daemonize cron. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Natu- rally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). FILES
/var/cron/tabs cron spool directory /etc/crontab system crontab file /etc/cron.d/ system crontab directory /var/log/cron log file for cron events SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
October 12, 2011 BSD