Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Not able to create directory in /home. Post 302886426 by JoeDirte on Friday 31st of January 2014 11:30:45 AM
Old 01-31-2014
I had a similar issue, i had disabled auto mount but was still unable to create any directories under /home. To get around this i had to remove the /home directory/mount point and create a new /home folder after that i was able to create directories with no issue.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Can't create users in /home

Hi Friends,, I installed solaris 10 in vmware just now.I got a simple problem while i want to create users in /home directory.It is saying "cannot create ".So i checked the permission and then i find that the perm to user(root) is r-x.So i tried to change it to rwx using chmod but again i got a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Requesting help to automatically create home dir on login

I know we would not normally do this. However, I would like to have user's home directory created when they log in the first time. I have searched the forums and have not found any help yet. Scenario - environment uses NIS for auth and usually NFS mount HOME. However, I have a pilot environment... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 22blaze
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to change/create home dir for particular user

Hi all I wanted to change the home dir for a user, but when using smh : SMH->Accounts for Users and Groups->Local Users->Modify User ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * Required... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

Mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/phpmy/html': Permission denied centos

for incompatibility installation problems, I've decided to reinstall Centos 6.3 as can be seem from the df output, I've partitioned both / and and /home directories $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda8 12G 5.3G 6.5G 45% / tmpfs ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
AUTOFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AUTOFS(8)

NAME
/etc/init.d/autofs - Control Script for automounter SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d/autofs start|stop|restart|reload|status DESCRIPTION
autofs control the operation of the automount(8) daemons running on the Linux system. Usually autofs is invoked at system boot time with the start parameter and at shutdown time with the stop parameter. The autofs script can also manually be invoked by the system administra- tor to shut down, restart or reload the automounters. OPERATION
autofs will consult a configuration file /etc/auto.master (see auto.master(5)) by default to find mount points on the system. For each of those mount points automount(8) will mount and start a thread, with the appropriate parameters, to manage the mount point. /etc/init.d/autofs reload will check the current auto.master map against running daemons. It will kill those daemons whose entries have changed and then start daemons for new or changed entries. If a map is modified then the change will become effective immediately. If the auto.master map is modified then the autofs script must be rerun to activate the changes. /etc/init.d/autofs status will display the status of, automount(8), running or not. SEE ALSO
automount(8), autofs(5), auto.master(5). autofs_ldap_auth.conf(5) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christoph Lameter <chris@waterf.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Edited by H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com>. 9 Sep 1997 AUTOFS(8)