Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create a bundle of user ids
Operating Systems AIX Create a bundle of user ids Post 302886327 by RudiC on Thursday 30th of January 2014 04:54:46 PM
Old 01-30-2014
Is the chpasswd tool available on your system?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user ids on multiple systems simultaneously

I am trying to think of a way to create user ids on multiple Linux systems in one fell swoop without logging onto each system indivually. Is there a way to do this with ssh commands? I don't want to use NIS/LDAP solution just a simple shell script utilitarian methodoloy would suffice. Also, I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darthur
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How create a large list of document ids in VI

How can I create a large list of document ids, about a 1,000 or more in a list without having to type them in? If I can list these documents ids with one command I know how to transfer the output to a new vi list. But how can I strip unwanted extra information in this list and leave only the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ruben7566
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Howto create new service bundle

Hi, I have created a service referring the below link. https://www.unix.com/tips-tutorials/32987-creating-solaris10-service.html Now am able to import and enable the service. I have placed my xml file under /var/svc/manifest/site The service name is <service ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate user ids

Hi I have to validate the user ids. It should be numeric. I am using following code echo $input | grep '^\{11\} > /dev/null if echo "error" else echo "Success" fi But when i entered user id as 828^&% the output is 8565 8566 -bash: ^: command not found Means when i entered... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting - process and user ids...Help please

Hello all: Working on a job I was asked get a simple script to perform the following task and would like to ask for some help. I'm looking forward to learning more and diving deeper into the World of Open Source servers. I need a script for a Unix server, using as few lines as possible, that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moahten
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

List of all ids,groups, privilege ids

I wish to pull out a list of all user ids on the system, including the privileged ids, the groups to which they belong to. Sometimes after deleting an id also, its home dir does not get deleted or an entry is left behind in /etc/passwd. Can someone help me with a script to achieve both. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies
CHPASSWD(8)						    System Management Commands						       CHPASSWD(8)

NAME
chpasswd - update passwords in batch mode SYNOPSIS
chpasswd [options] DESCRIPTION
The chpasswd command reads a list of user name and password pairs from standard input and uses this information to update a group of existing users. Each line is of the format: user_name:password By default the passwords must be supplied in clear-text, and are encrypted by chpasswd. Also the password age will be updated, if present. By default, passwords are encrypted by PAM, but (even if not recommended) you can select a different encryption method with the -e, -m, or -c options. Except when PAM is used to encrypt the passwords, chpasswd first updates all the passwords in memory, and then commits all the changes to disk if no errors occured for any user. When PAM is used to encrypt the passwords (and update the passwords in the system database) then if a password cannot be updated chpasswd continues updating the passwords of the next users, and will return an error code on exit. This command is intended to be used in a large system environment where many accounts are created at a single time. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chpasswd command are: -c, --crypt-method METHOD Use the specified method to encrypt the passwords. The available methods are DES, MD5, NONE, and SHA256 or SHA512 if your libc support these methods. By default, PAM is used to encrypt the passwords. -e, --encrypted Supplied passwords are in encrypted form. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -m, --md5 Use MD5 encryption instead of DES when the supplied passwords are not encrypted. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --sha-rounds ROUNDS Use the specified number of rounds to encrypt the passwords. The value 0 means that the system will choose the default number of rounds for the crypt method (5000). A minimal value of 1000 and a maximal value of 999,999,999 will be enforced. You can only use this option with the SHA256 or SHA512 crypt method. By default, the number of rounds is defined by the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS and SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS variables in /etc/login.defs. CAVEATS
Remember to set permissions or umask to prevent readability of unencrypted files by other users. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS (number), SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS (number) When ENCRYPT_METHOD is set to SHA256 or SHA512, this defines the number of SHA rounds used by the encryption algorithm by default (when the number of rounds is not specified on the command line). With a lot of rounds, it is more difficult to brute forcing the password. But note also that more CPU resources will be needed to authenticate users. If not specified, the libc will choose the default number of rounds (5000). The values must be inside the 1000-999,999,999 range. If only one of the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS or SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS values is set, then this value will be used. If SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS > SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS, the highest value will be used. Note: This only affect the generation of group passwords. The generation of user passwords is done by PAM and subject to the PAM configuration. It is recommended to set this variable consistently with the PAM configuration. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. /etc/pam.d/chpasswd PAM configuration for chpasswd. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), newusers(8), login.defs(5), useradd(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHPASSWD(8)