Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Folder location interrupted
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Folder location interrupted Post 302885782 by sceltecs on Tuesday 28th of January 2014 11:05:18 AM
Old 01-28-2014
Error Folder location interrupted

Have had hidden/interrupted folder.
It is on a NTFS-partition I use for OS and Bootcamp.
I think that the problem is a HFS+ problem.
I happened with all the folder which had a slash "/" in their folder name.
So for example I had the folder "test/rand".
Recently it disappeared from finder. In windows I can see the folder as "test:rand",
but it doesn't allow me to open/rename it. It gives the error that the folder location can not be located.

I can see it only within terminal using
Code:
ls

and has the name "test:rand" But i can't access the folder via mv or cp. It gives me a 'no such file or directory'

If i write the folders name half way and let it extend using 'tab', it gives me "test\:rand". using then the command mv shows following:

Code:
mv /Users/george/test\:rand /Users/george
mv: rename /Users/george/test:rand: No such file or directory

So, what It does, It finds the folder and extends it to "test\:rand" but then it says that it doesn't exist but without backslash: "test:rand"

if i try mv using "test:rand"
it gives me the same error of not finding such file or directory

how can i access to this folder? it exists, but not, seems

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automated sftp procedure interrupted

Dear experts, I have a local computer and remote computer (only sftp accessed). I want to delete files x and y in both local and remote computer using the following automated script: sftp $remote > /dev/null < mdel.file the file mdel.file has been pre-created, and its content is cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyin.huang
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

auto change filemanager folder colors dependent on location in directory hierarchy

Hello, Is it possible to make a file manager use different "colored folders" when browsing specific directories? For example, if I open a gnome file manager and browse my windows share at, smb://192.168.1.101/z/ , can I make those folders appear green? And when I open another instance of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bz43
0 Replies

3. AIX

User script folder standard location ?

I am starting to accumulate a few scripts that I working on to replace operational scripts and to have a few for my personal usage. I am not an admin, just an operator. They are currently located inside the /tmp folder. I know they should not be there but since we have no system admin (someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files in thumbnail folder to a secondary location for Amazon S3

Hello all! I am trying to create a script that will copy files from one location, to another but only folders that are filled with thumbnails to an exact directory replica in the second location. For example: /images/2012/01/19/Event/Photographer/thumbnails to ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buzzman25
4 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

arecord not interrupted after specified duration

I have used the arecord command like this arecord -d 1 test.wav It is keep on waiting. I need to manually interrupt it by ctrl-c. Why it is not interrupting after one second? The arecord version which I am using is : arecord: version 1.0.23 by Jaroslav Kysela (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thillai_selvan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is original file modified when pigz is interrupted?

I had to stop a pigz (parallel gzip) compression before it completed. Is the original uncompressed file changed/corrupted? I was under the impression that the original file is not changed during compression, though it is deleted if the compression is successful. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colin123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from various folders to similar folder structure in another location

Hi, I need to write a script the has to copy the files from folders and subfolders to the same folder structure located in another location. Ex: mainfolder1 file1,file2,file3 subfolder1(file1,etc) subfolder2(file1,etc) to another folder location of same folder structure. rsync is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raji Perumal
7 Replies
sortm(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sortm(1)

NAME
sortm - sort messages (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
sortm [msgs] [+folder] [options] OPTIONS
Specifies the name of the header field to use when making the date comparison. If you have a special field in each message, such as Deliv- ery-Date:, then the -datefield switch can be used to tell sortm which field to examine. If you do not give this option, the default is to use the Date: header field. Prints a list of all the valid options to this command. Displays the general actions that it is taking to place the folder in sorted order. The -noverbose option performs these actions silently. The default is -noverbose. The default settings for this command are: +folder defaults to the current folder msgs defaults to all -datefield date -noverbose DESCRIPTION
The command sortm sorts all the messages in the current folder into chronological order according to the contents of the Date: fields of the messages. By default, sortm sorts all the messages in the current folder. You can select particular messages in the folder by giving a range of mes- sages. You can also sort messages in another folder by specifying the folder name. If sortm encounters a message without a Date: field, or if the message has a Date: field that sortm cannot parse, it attempts to keep the message in the same relative position. However, this does not always work; for instance, if the first message encountered lacks a date which can be parsed, then it will usually be placed at the end of the messages being sorted. When sortm complains about a message which it cannot order, it complains about the message number prior to sorting. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your MH directory EXAMPLES
The following example sorts all the messages in the folder +meetings: % sortm +meetings The next example sorts messages 10-30 in the folder called +test: % sortm +test 10-30 FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
folder(1) sortm(1)