Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying few lines from one file to another Post 302884838 by RudiC on Wednesday 22nd of January 2014 05:02:18 AM
Old 01-22-2014
You are not copying the files, you are modifying them. cp won't work. Try
Code:
head -2q abc 123

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying common lines to a new file

How do i copy the common lines between 2 files to another file? for example file1: asdfg sdf gdsf file2: asdfgh asd sdf xcv file3: sdf (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying lines from fileA if they start by a word from fileB

Hi I'm in the need of a script that basically takes two files and generates a 3rd. It reads from fileA and fileB and copies lines from fileA if they start by a word of fileB. for example fileA The dog is beautful Where is your cat Why are you sad? Help me! fileB The Where tree dog... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command for copying the contents of other file replacing it another file on specifc pattern

We have 2 file XML files - FILE1.XML and FILE2.xml - we need copy the contents of FILE1.XML and replace in FILE2.xml pattern "<assignedAttributeList></assignedAttributeList>" FILE1.XML 1. <itemList> 2. <item type="Manufactured"> 3. <resourceCode>431048</resourceCode> 4. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balrajg
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with searching for a file in a directory and copying the contents of that file in a new file

Hi guys, I am a newbie here :wall: I need a script that can search for a file in a directory and copy the contents of that file in a new file. Please help me. :confused: Thanks in advance~ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zel2zel
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying lines from one file to another file

I did a search before posting and couldn't find an example of what I need done. Anyway, I have a file called file1.txt, which has data like this: File2.txt contains: So what I need to do is from file1.txt find the first line M977 in file2.txt and replace the line below it with the line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fly_Moe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with copying lines from different files.

I am new to Linux and have a challenging task. I have 3 data files, and need to do the following: Go to line 31 of file 1, delete it Read 1 line from file 2 and add in place of deleted line Go to line 97 of file I delete it and then read the line 1 from file 2 and add in place of that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Request] Copying a file with cp except for the last one or two lines.

Hi folks! I'm new to the unix-side of the world! ;) and I'm trying to learn as much as possible the good stuff that's in it! So.. here comes the point.. as you can see in the title, I need to copy a file but truncating it so that last 1-2 lines are not copied... any suggests from the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WideMind
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying lines from multiple logfiles, based on content of the line

d df d d (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larsk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying lines between two strings

Hello All, I want to copy some lines from one file to other with following condition. Only lines between two specified strings should copy. Example :- "My First String " Some_Other_String .... Some_Other_String .... Some_Other_String .... "My Second String" So only... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: copying lines with specific character to files with same name as copied line.

I am trying to make my script as simple as a possible but, I am not sure if the way I am approaching is necessarily the most efficient or effective it can be. What I am mainly trying to fix is a for loop to remove a string from the specified files and within this loop I am trying to copy the lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allie_gastrator
2 Replies
gnomevfs-copy(1)						   User Commands						  gnomevfs-copy(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-copy - copy a file from one VFS location to another SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-copy source-URI destination-URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-copy is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-copy. See gvfs-copy(1). gnomevfs-copy copies a file from one URI location to another, using the virtual file system. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: source-URI Specifies the source file location in standard URI format. destination-URI Specifies the destination file or directory location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Copying a File From a Web Server to a Local File example% gnomevfs-copy http://www.sun.com file:///home/user/index.html ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-copy Executable to copy a file from one VFS location to another ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-cat(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-copy(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-copy(1)