Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with mailx in HP_UX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with mailx in HP_UX Post 302884702 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 21st of January 2014 12:02:26 PM
Old 01-21-2014
As was suggested early, assemble the mail header yourself. Use the more primitive mail or sendmail rather than mailx.
In one line:
Code:
(echo "To: $EMAIL_RECEPIENT"; echo "Cc: $EMAIL_CC"; echo "From: $EMAIL_SENDER; echo "Subject: $EMAIL_SUBJECT"; echo ""; cat <Filename>;uuencode $FILE $FILE) | mail "$EMAIL_RECEPIENT"

The EMAIL_RECEPIENT (correct spelling RECIPIENT) is mentioned twice; mail's command line argument goes to the envelope (represented as inititial "To " line in an SMTP mail, before the header follows with the "To: " line.)
As a reader-friendly multi-line script:
Code:
{
echo "\
To: $EMAIL_RECEPIENT
Cc: $EMAIL_CC
Subject: $EMAIL_SUBJECT
"
cat <Filename>
uuencode "$FILE" "$FILE"
} | mail "$EMAIL_RECEPIENT"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx problem

Here is a question I have, maybe someone can help me out. I am new to this UNIX thing. :) I have a file called elist. In this file is a list of 25 email adresses. How can I write a simple command line for that will read the names of the file and send it to each of the email addys. Can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iastorms
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx problem

Is there a size limit on the file that can be sent using mailx? I'm trying mailx -s "alertlog" tome@work < /dir/my.log and I only get a portion of the log. The newest portion of the log is not included in the mail. Additionally, I would like the option of mailing just the last 100... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djbartkow
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with mailx

Hi unix lovers, I have some problem with using mailx. I want to send mail as per the instructions in a file. The mail does not reach to CC recepients. To get a clearer picture, this is what I am typing on unix prompt. $ $ mailx ashishp@suntech.com < mail.txt $ And my mail.txt looks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to create a partition in HP_UX?

I'm using 11i v3. I have a san disk; how to creeate a partition in a normal way similar to fdisk in linux? (not using lvm) The other question is: I created a partiton using lvm and mounted it. experiment is to take a block level snapshot and attach it as a different disk. I attached the disk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx -c PROBLEM

hi All, i want to email to abc@abc.com which will be in "to" and to def@def.com which will be in "cc". i tried like this: mailx -s "Total Collection" abc@abc.com -c def@def.com but i took error :( How can i success? Thanx so much. ---------- Post updated at 08:19 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: temhem
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP_UX installation disks - is this what i need?

Hello Folks, I recently screwed up and accidently deleted a lot of very necessary system files on my HP-UX test machine at home during a 'cleanup' of disk space. I think I have no option other than to reinstall the OS now. Its not something I'd planned to do or that I've done before but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jim66
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Sorting top command output in HP_UX 11.11

Hello all, I've been woking on Solaris and Linux (Red Hat) so far but now I've inherited an HP-UX system and having minor issues with syntax...Appreciate if you could help me out here.. 1) I'm trying to sort the output of the top command in HP-UX 11.11 by pressing O (capital O) after typing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mailx problem

I executed my script in linux environment so Here Im facing problem.In linux has mailx command but if i include in following way Im getting error like ./script2.sh: line 6: mailx: command not found. if I use mail command also Im getting same error. $ cat script2.sh while ps | ./pwtst do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP_UX to Linux migration

I need set of commands, names and location that differ between HPUX and Linux. I have the same for Solaris to Linux migration guide in Red book from IBM. I need for HPUX and Linux on the same lines. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
mail.local(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mail.local(1M)

NAME
mail.local - store mail in a mailbox SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mail.local [-f sender] [-d] recipient DESCRIPTION
mail.local reads the standard input up to an end-of-file and appends it to each user's mail file (mailbox). This program is intended to be used by sendmail(1M) as a mail delivery agent for local mail. It is not a user interface agent. Messages are appended to the user's mail file in the /var/mail directory. The user must be a valid user name. Each delivered mail message in the mailbox is preceded by a "Unix From line" with the following format: From sender_address time_stamp The sender_address is extracted from the SMTP envelope address (the envelope address is specified with the -f option). A trailing blank line is also added to the end of each message. The mail files are locked with a .lock file while mail is appended. The mail files are created with mode 660, owner is set to recipient, and group is set to mail. If the ``biff'' service is returned by get- servbyname(3SOCKET), the biff server is notified of delivered mail. This program also computes the Content-Length: header which will be used by the mailbox reader to mark the message boundary. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f sender Specifies the "envelope from address" of the message. This flag is technically optional, but should be used. -d Specifies the recipient of the message. This flag is also optional and is supported here for backward compatibility. That is, mail.local recipient is the same as mail.local -d recipient. -l Turn on LMTP mode. -r from Specify the sender's name (for backward compatibility). -7 Do not advertise 8BITMIME support in LMTP mode. -b Return a permanent error instead of a temporary error if a mailbox exceeds quota. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: recipient The recipient of the mail message. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
TZ Used to set the appropriate time zone on the timestamp. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/tmp/local.XXXXXX temporary files /tmp/lochd.XXXXXX temporary files /var/mail/user_name user's mail file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mail(1), comsat(1M), sendmail(1M), getservbyname(3SOCKET), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 11 Apr 1997 mail.local(1M)