Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unclear pointer and array
Top Forums Programming Unclear pointer and array Post 302884213 by Don Cragun on Saturday 18th of January 2014 12:45:20 PM
Old 01-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifangt
Thanks Akshay!
Seems I understand sprinf() to return a string, but could you please explain this line?
Code:
sprintf(dst, "%.*s", count, src + start);

suppose the input string is "A test string" from start = 3, end = 9.
Or, more specifically the part "%.*s", which I assume is for the formats. How does it work? Thanks again.
You need to look at the man page for the printf() function. You'll see that:
Code:
sprintf(dst, "%.*s", count, src + start);

is shorthand for:
Code:
char fmt[10];
sprintf(fmt, "%%.%ds", count);
sprintf(dst, fmt, src + start);

without the need for the space for the intermediate format string.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer

void main() { int a={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; int *p=a; int *q=&a; cout<<q-p+1<<endl; } The output is 10, how? if we give cout<<q it will print the address, value won't print.... if we give cout<<p it will print the address, value won't print.... p has the base addr; q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing pointer array in C

All .. I am having a pointer array . And trying to store the addess into that pointer array . please see below the problem i faced code: int cnt1; char *t_array; char *f_array; for(cnt1=0; cnt1<1000; cnt1++) { t_array =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

4. Programming

C pointer/array duality confusion

Hi all, Can anyone provide help with getting the right syntax regarding array/pointers in C in the following code? Can't locate a specific example which clarifies this... Say I declare a typedef to an array of pointers to some type... /** * An array of ptrs to sections */ typedef... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gorga
4 Replies

5. Programming

help with char pointer array in C

i have an array like #define NUM 8 .... new_socket_fd = accept(socket_fd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &client_length); char *items = {"one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight"}; char *item_name_length = {"3", "3", "5", "4", "4", "3", "5", "5"}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

6. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

best practises for scripting + a few unclear points

Hi guys, Besides the points bellow, what would best practices for scripting be ? 1) set the PATH 2) unset the current environment (set -u ?) 3) (re)set the IFS to default value - space (IFS="" <- is this correct ?) 4) check the return code for each action inside the script (cd, rsync,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: da1
1 Replies

8. Programming

Character pointer to Character array

how to copy content of character pointer to character array in c programming.. char *num; char name=num; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zinat
1 Replies

9. Programming

Pointer for 2D array seems to be 3D in C

I am struggling with the pointer to 2D-array (cf: 2D array of pointers). Can anybody help me elaborate how the pointer x moves in the memory to access the individual of y, especially the high lighted lines? I have talked to one of the curators of the forum, but I am still not quite clear. Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)