Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pass variables between scripts? Post 302883828 by Scott on Thursday 16th of January 2014 08:48:16 AM
Old 01-16-2014
Try exporting var.

Code:
export var=WORLD

Or, to satisfy your requirement ("How to pass variables...") in the strictest sense, follow Don's advice in the next post Smilie

Last edited by Scott; 01-16-2014 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Edit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass passwords to bash scripts?

I'm finding the following command very tedious to type in all the time, so I created a one line bash script called mount.bash with the following contents: mount -t cifs //mark/C\$ -o unc=//mark\\C$,ip=10.1.1.33,user=Administrator,password=$1 /mnt/mark I don't like the fact that I have to put... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass CSH variables up to the parent?

Hi .. I have a dynamic script called from a programming language called Powerhouse (4GL). The module, called QUIZ, allows the user to call shell commands from within it... i.e. !rm -f mipss156t2cmd1.bat mipss156t2tmp1.txt !printf '#!/bin/csh\n' > mipss156t2cmd1.bat !printf 'setenv... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variables to FUNCTION ?

Hi... Actually, I want to pass a few variables to the function and print it. But, its looks like not working. Could some body help me how could i do that ?... below is my program... #!/usr/bin/ksh usage() { echo "Usage: $0 -n -a -s -w -d" exit } rename() { echo "rename $1 $2"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bh_hensem
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass values from one file to different scripts

Hi Gurus, Iam new to Unix. I had a requirement where i should use a file for example Host.sh or Host.txt Host = 555.254.45.14 username = aaaa pwd = SSSSSS123 And this file need to be used in different scripts. For example i have script1.sh where i want to use the values of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass variables from Asterisk to a C-script

Hi!I'm trying to write a script in C that Asterisk must call: I would to pass to the script a number digited by the user, make some elaboration with it and then pass the result to Asterisk. I don't understand the mechanism used by Asterisk to pass variable to/from a script: I know that variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucio82
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass variables from one script to another

HI all I am calling a script "b" from script "a". In script "a", i connect to database and get month and year. I have to pass these same values to script b. How can i do that. How can i pass parameters from one script to another (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass values between awk and shell scripts

I know that we can call system command to execute shell script in awk. but it does not return the result of the command executed , but only returns the value of the command executoin status ( 1/0 --> failure / success). Could anyone let me know how to solve this problem. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajnikanth.1912
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameters from perl to csh scripts

I use csh a lot but I don't really write csh scripts. Now I have a need to implement a security check (written in perl; verify an user input security code) into a csh script. Here is the senario: #csh 1. call the perl script 2. if the perl script returns 'true', pass on; if the perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Julian16
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass variables in Expect command?

Hi All, I need to frame a unix script to logon to a unix box. The credentials needs to be obtained from a property file on the same location. I am trying to use 'expect' and 'spawn' command to meet this req. When I am passing values, these commands are working fine. but when I am trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailkarthik
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass variables into anothother variables?

Below are three variables, which I want to pass into variable RESULT1 username1=userid poihostname1=dellsys.com port1=8080 How can I pass these variables into below code... RESULT1=$((ssh -n username1@poihostname1 time /usr/sfw/bin/wget --user=sam --password=123 -O /dev/null -q... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manohar2013
4 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)