Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Replacing line of text while file is closed Post 302883569 by wdg74 on Wednesday 15th of January 2014 07:05:39 AM
Old 01-15-2014
By "file is closed", I meant that I didn't want to be viewing the contents of the file in an editor like vi. Your command is exactly what I was looking for, Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but last Hex characters in a text line

I must remove hex characters 0A and 0D from several fields within an MS Access Table. Since I don't think it can be done in Access, I am trying here. I am exporting a Table from Access (must be fixed length fields, I think, for my idea to work here) into a text format. I then want to run a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAH
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i check if text file is closed ?

Hello all im trying to make daemon that listen for incoming textiles and then it will move them to defined directory now the daemon part is ok but im stack on how to check of file is close and done copied to directory . so i could process it and move it forward tnx (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing text in a file, but...

Hi all, Very first post on this forums, hope you can help me with this scripting task. I have a big text file with over 3000 lines, some of those lines contain some text that I need to replace, lets say for simplicity the text to be replaced in those lines is "aaa" and I need it to replace it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Angelseph
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Read a .gz file line by line without using gzcat

Hi all Is there a way to read and process a gzip file line by line similar to a text file without using gzcat.. while processing a text file we will usually use the logic exec<sample.txt while read line do echo $line done Is there a similar way to process the gz file in the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aikhaman
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing line 'i' of file1 with line 'j' of file 2

Hi All, As mentioned in the title I have two text files and I would like to replace line number 5 of file #1 with line number 4 of file #2 e.g. file 1 wqwert 4.4464002 3 319 286 369 46.320002 56.150002 45.100002 1 1 1 0.723 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text on every third line

I have file like this "copy table_name from filea.txt on node replace delimiter '|';" "copy table_name from fileb.txt on node replace delimiter '|';" "copy table_name from filec.txt on node replace delimiter'|';" "copy table_name from filee.txt on node replace delimiter '|';" "copy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nnani
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text in Perl given by command line

Hi I need to write a Perl script that the file given as first argument of the command line that will find all occurrences of the string given as the third argument of the command line and replace with the string given as the fourth argument. Name newfound file is specified as the second... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekoj
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking and replacing first line in text file, one-liner?

Hello, I'm looking to check only the first line of a file to see if it is a format string, like # -*- coding: utf-8; mode: tcl; tab-width: 2; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 2 -\*- vim:fenc=utf-8:ft=tcl:et:sw=2:ts=2:sts=2if the first line is anything else, insert the above string. I'd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add previous text when replacing comma with new line

Hi, I've got this output: # cat test2.txt TM1ITP1-TMNLSTP1 SLC00=0,SLC01=0,SLC02=0,SLC03=0 if I just use cat test2.txt | tr "," "\n" I'll end up very near to what I'm trying to achieve: TM1ITP1-TMNLSTP1 SLC00=0 SLC01=0 SLC02=0 SLC03=0 But how can i eventually add the term... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
DIFF3(1)							     GNU Tools								  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - find differences between three files SYNOPSIS
diff3 [options] mine older yours DESCRIPTION
The diff3 command compares three files and outputs descriptions of their differences. The files to compare are mine, older, and yours. At most one of these three file names may be -, which tells diff3 to read the standard input for that file. Options Below is a summary of all of the options that GNU diff3 accepts. Multiple single letter options (unless they take an argument) can be com- bined into a single command line argument. -a Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -A Incorporate all changes from older to yours into mine, surrounding all conflicts with bracket lines. -B Old behavior of -A. Shows non-conflicts. -e Generate an ed script that incorporates all the changes from older to yours into mine. -E Like -e, except bracket lines from overlapping changes' first and third files. With -e, an overlapping change looks like this: <<<<<<< mine lines from mine ======= lines from yours >>>>>>> yours --ed Generate an ed script that incorporates all the changes from older to yours into mine. --easy-only Like -e, except output only the nonoverlapping changes. -i Generate w and q commands at the end of the ed script for System V compatibility. This option must be combined with one of the -AeExX3 options, and may not be combined with -m. --initial-tab Output a tab rather than two spaces before the text of a line in normal format. This causes the alignment of tabs in the line to look normal. -L label --label=label Use the label label for the brackets output by the -A, -E and -X options. This option may be given up to three times, one for each input file. The default labels are the names of the input files. Thus diff3 -L X -L Y -L Z -m A B C acts like diff3 -m A B C , except that the output looks like it came from files named X, Y and Z rather than from files named A, B and C. -m --merge Apply the edit script to the first file and send the result to standard output. Unlike piping the output from diff3 to ed, this works even for binary files and incomplete lines. -A is assumed if no edit script option is specified. --overlap-only Like -e, except output only the overlapping changes. --show-all Incorporate all unmerged changes from older to yours into mine, surrounding all overlapping changes with bracket lines. --show-overlap Like -e, except bracket lines from overlapping changes' first and third files. -T Output a tab rather than two spaces before the text of a line in normal format. This causes the alignment of tabs in the line to look normal. --text Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -v --version Output the version number of diff3. -x Like -e, except output only the overlapping changes. -X Like -E, except output only the overlapping changes. In other words, like -x, except bracket changes as in -E. -3 Like -e, except output only the nonoverlapping changes. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), ed(1), patch(1), sdiff(1). DIAGNOSTICS
An exit status of 0 means diff3 was successful, 1 means some conflicts were found, and 2 means trouble. GNU Tools 22sep1993 DIFF3(1)