Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Add numbers in third code with conditions on the 1st and 2nd Post 302883306 by TheTransporter on Monday 13th of January 2014 08:40:31 AM
Old 01-13-2014
Add numbers in third code with conditions on the 1st and 2nd

Hello all,

I have a file with three columns, in which the first column has one letter from A-Z, the second one letter from A-Z, and the third a number:
e.g.
Code:
A A 5
A B 6
A C 1
A D 7
B A 8

The desired output is:
Code:
A A 5
A B 14
A C 1
A D 7

Just because A B and B A are essentially the same.

Is there a way to do this in awk or bash?

Thank you

Last edited by vbe; 01-13-2014 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: code tags...

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want the UNIX code - I want to sum of the 1st column wherever the first 2nd and 3rd columns r equal

I have the code for the below things.. File1 has the content as below 8859 0 subscriberCreate 18 0 subscriberPaymentMethodChange 1650 0 subscriberProfileUpdate 7668 0 subscriberStatusChange 13 4020100 subscriberProfileUpdate 1 4020129 subscriberStatusChange 2 4020307 subscriberCreate 8831... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahen
5 Replies
LETTERIZE(1)							    Miscellanea 						      LETTERIZE(1)

NAME
letterize_ - phone-number to letter-mnemonic generator SYNOPSIS
letterize nnnnnnn DESCRIPTION
This program tries to help you find a letter mnemonic matching a given phone number. It emits to standard output each possible pronounceable mnemonic, one per line, using the American standard mapping of dial letters to numbers (2 goes to ABC, 3 to DEF, 4 to GHI, 5 to JKL, 6 to MNO, 7 to PRS, 8 to TUV, 9 to XYZ). The program uses a table of pronounceable letter-triples derived from a dictionary scan. Each potential mnemonic must be such that all of its letter-triples are in the table to be emitted. About 30% of possible triples are considered pronounceable. A typical 7-digit phone number has 19,683 possible mnemonics, but this test usually cuts the list down to a few hundred or so, a reasonable number to eyeball-check. For some numbers, the list will, sadly, be empty. It's best to leave out punctuation such as dashes and parens. BUGS
The filtering method doesn't know what plausible medial triples are not reasonable at the beginnings and ends of words. I'm not sure what table position 0 (which is what 0 and 1 are mapped to) means. If you figure it out, you tell me. I really should have generated my own table, but that would have been more work than this seemed worth -- if your number contains either, you probably need to generate your mnemonic in disjoint pieces around the digits anyway. AUTHOR
Eric S. Raymond esr@snark.thyrsus.com. It's based on a table of plausible letter-triples that had no name attached to it. Surf to http://www.catb.org/~esr/ for updates and related resources. letterize 05/30/2012 LETTERIZE(1)