Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming multiple files at once (discarding suffix of the filename after a character) Post 302883039 by Scrutinizer on Friday 10th of January 2014 01:02:29 PM
Old 01-10-2014
Try:
Code:
for f in *.cnf_*; do
  mv "$f" "${f%_*}"
done

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Help! I was trying to rename multiple files. Like in DOS, i decided to use wildcards and now i am missing some files. Any ideas on how to recover them? Or find out where the files went? I had these 3 files resume1.log elecresume.log compresume.log The command I ran was mv *.log *.log.bak... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmayur
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files to have date/time in filename

I have a program that will export my data to a single file, but it assigns a file name that is overridden every time I run the program. I need to change the file name to have a sequential number in the filename. How do I rename a file so that the filename contains the system date and time. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayneb
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename multiple files with a common suffix

Hi, There are multiple files like file1_11 file2_11 file3_11.....and so on. How to rename them such tht the suffix _11 is removed and they become file1, file2, file3. Any help is appreciated. Regards er_ashu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple files

Hi All my dear friends I had multiple files in my directory with .pcv and .sqv extn I want to rename all .pcv files with .pc extn and all .sqv files with .sql extn Please help me out.:eek::mad::rolleyes: e.g. /trimsbld/users/dhirens/scripts/newfolder==>ll -rt total 2856 -rwxr-xr-x 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhiren_shah
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have a bunch of files txt1.csv--2008 thru to txt3.csv--2008. If i wanted to rename these files all at the same time to txt*.csv-2008 what would be the best way to do it... Just need to get rid of the extra - in each file name.. not all files are going to be called txt*.csv--2008. Just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Hi, I have several hundred files I need to rename, and I'm would rather not hit F2 for each file individually to rename them. Example of file: large1961.jpg What I need the file to be renamed as: 1961.jpg I don't know what type of command I can execute within a shell script that would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayell
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Hi, Can we rename multiples files using find or awk utility? Now I am doing it using for loop and getting the file name and in side the loop using the mv command. Like ine need t rename all txt files to doc file. For example a1.txt => a1.doc a2.txt => a2.doc a3.txt => a3.doc myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file that has multiple numbers as filename

Hi I have a file with filename as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798" Now i need to move this file as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798_org" i tried with # ls | grep -E "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.+"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming files by appending string from within file to filename

Greetings. I am working in a Linux environment and am trying to figure out a way to rename files in a directory by appending a unique strings that appears within a certain area in those files. I have gotten as far as identifying what that particular unique string is with a command like the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
10 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)