Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Begin/End blocks in awk: confused Post 302882391 by blackrageous on Monday 6th of January 2014 03:48:36 PM
Old 01-06-2014
No. Begin and End blocks in awk are meant to be used before and after all lines are processes; repectively, and appear as follow in awk script..

Code:
BEGIN{do something}
more awk script
END{do something}

I suggest you call gawk in this fashion until you are comfortable with awk/gawk...

Code:
gawk -f awk.script.txt  file.to.parse.txt

awk is arguably a 4GL language since every line of the file to be parsed is passed by each line of the awk script, with the exception of awk script in beginning and end sections. Again, Begin is processed before every line and END after the processing of every line. The Begin section is useful for printing headers or initializing counters. The End section is useful for performing end calculations, etc.

T

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BEGIN END questions

Why would you need to use this in a script? Why can't you just use print to print out what you want printed in the begining and print for what you want at the end. So this: nawk 'BEGIN {print "this is the first line"} {print $1 $2 $3} {print $5 $6} END {print "this is the last line"}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

begin end detection

Hi all, i am new to scripting. i need to write a code to detect begin and end of word that either begins or ends with t,th,d,dh,s,sh i have a set of words in a file containg one word per line. let the filename be aaa.txt. i have an another file bbb.txt which has two lines, just specifying the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blkanth
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk BEGIN END and string matching problem

Hi, Contents of BBS-list file: foo foo foo awk ' BEGIN { print "Analysis of \"foo\"" } /foo/ { ++n } END { print "\"foo\" appears", n, "times." }' BBS-list Output: Analysis of "foo" "foo" appears 3 times. awk ' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Begin IF ,END IF END not working in the sql script

Hi I have written a script .The script runs properly if i write sql queries .But if i use PLSQL commands of BEGIN if end if , end ,then on running the script the comamds are getting printed on the prompt . Ex :temp.sql After connecting to the databse at the sql prompt i type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isha_1
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dump to another file for a begin and end Pattern

Hi All , I am newbie to linux shell scripting , below are the contents of my log file , i want the lines between a begin pattern and a end pattern for an instance , my begin Pattern is "Transaction Begins for Usr" and end pattern is "Transaction Ends for Usr" into another file Sample file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SARAVANANE
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange: sed and awk print at end instead of begin of line

Hi! I have a strange behaviour from sed and awk, but I'm not sure, if I'm doing something wrong: I have a list of words, where I want to add the following string at the end of each line: \;\;\;\;0\;1 I try like this: $ cat myfile | awk '{if ( $0 != "" ) print $0"\;\;\;\;0\;1"}' Result:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: regisl67
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the sum of values in between begin and end in the file

Hi All, test file Begin Script Run at Thu Mar 14 09:24:16 PDT 2013 tst_accounts: ws zip: WS_out_20130313.tar.gz dat: test_20130313.dat count: 63574 loaded: xx pre-merge: xx post-merge: xx timestamp: Thu Mar 14 09:30:42 PDT 2013 tst_accounts: ws zip: WS_out_20130313.tar.gz dat: s_20130313.dat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BEGIN and END format in awk

I'm new to awk, trying to understand the basics. I'm trying to reset the counter everytime the program gets a new file to check. I figured in the BEGIN part it would work, but it doesn't. #!/bin/awk -f BEGIN {counter=0} { sum=0 for ( i=1; i<=NF;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarist684
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search ad replace using begin and end of the file

Hello Friends , Please help to create script for compare and replace if not matches of set of lines . * Primary* Servername Server1 Location R201 Rack 4 *End Primary* *Secondary* Server Name Server1 IPAddress 10.24.30.10 Application Apache *End of Secondary* Above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnary
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In ksh script what is this BEGIN and END in this function?

Can Someone please explain why BEGIN and END statement is used inside function? How does that help in scripting? function fileformatting { CleanupMask="xXxX" sed 's/^.//' < ${AllFile} > ${AllFile}.tmp echo $(wc -l ${AllFile}.tmp) `awk -v CleanupMask=${CleanupMask} ' BEGIN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: later_troy
2 Replies
AMPLOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMPLOT(8)

NAME
amplot - visualize the behavior of Amanda SYNOPSIS
amplot [ -c ] [ -e ] [ -g ] [ -l ] [ -p ] [ -t T ] amdump_files DESCRIPTION
Amplot reads an amdump output file that Amanda generates each run (e.g. amdump.1) and translates the information into a picture format that may be used to determine how your installation is doing and if any parameters need to be changed. Amplot also prints out amdump lines that it either does not understand or knows to be warning or error lines and a summary of the start, end and total time for each backup image. Amplot is a shell script that executes an awk program (amplot.awk) to scan the amdump output file. It then executes a gnuplot program (amplot.g) to generate the graph. The awk program is written in an enhanced version of awk, such as GNU awk (gawk version 2.15 or later) or nawk. During execution, amplot generates a few temporary files that gnuplot uses. These files are deleted at the end of execution. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. OPTIONS
-c Compress amdump_files after plotting. -e Extend the X (time) axis if needed. -g Direct gnuplot output directly to the X11 display (default). -p Direct postscript output to file YYYYMMDD.ps (opposite of -g). -l Generate landscape oriented output. -t T Set the right edge of the plot to be T hours. The amdump_files may be in various compressed formats (compress, gzip, pact, compact). INTERPRETATION
The figure is divided into a number of regions. There are titles on the top that show important statistical information about the configu- ration and from this execution of amdump. In the figure, the X axis is time, with 0 being the moment amdump was started. The Y axis is divided into 5 regions: QUEUES: How many backups have not been started, how many are waiting on space in the holding disk and how many have been transferred successfully to tape. %BANDWIDTH: Percentage of allowed network bandwidth in use. HOLDING DISK: The higher line depicts space allocated on the holding disk to backups in progress and completed backups waiting to be written to tape. The lower line depicts the fraction of the holding disk containing completed backups waiting to be written to tape including the file currently being written to tape. The scale is percentage of the holding disk. TAPE: Tape drive usage. %DUMPERS: Percentage of active dumpers. The idle period at the left of the graph is time amdump is asking the machines how much data they are going to dump. This process can take a while if hosts are down or it takes them a long time to generate estimates. AUTHOR
Olafur Gudmundsson ogud@tis.com Trusted Information Systems formerly at University of Maryland, College Park BUGS
Reports lines it does not recognize, mainly error cases but some are legitimate lines the program needs to be taught about. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amdump(8), gawk(1), nawk(1), awk(1), gnuplot(1), sh(1), compress(1), gzip(1) 4th Berkeley Distribution AMPLOT(8)