Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renice command with input argument as a file Post 302881976 by Yoda on Friday 3rd of January 2014 10:07:37 AM
Old 01-03-2014
Replace <inc> with your nice value.

Check renice manual for further reference.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How do I input an argument in the main?

----------C program----------------------------- include <stdio.h> int main( int argc, char *argv ) { int i; for( i=0; i<argc; i++ ) printf("%\n", argv); return 0; } I wrote the C program above 'print.c'. Then, I compiled. (gcc -o print.o print.c)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yhosun
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

use argument file with sed command

I am trying to delete lines from a file with the sed command. I have two files. File a.txt 200,000 records. Here is a sample of the file. File a.txt 2401ABC0212345678 plus 250 characters of other data 2401ABC0212345678 plus 250 characters of other data 2402ABC0212345678 plus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbanigan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use input filename as an argument to name output file

I know this is a simple matter, but I'm new to this. I have a shell script that calls a sed script from within it. I want the output of the shell script to be based on the input file I pass as an argument to the original script. In other words... ./script.sh file.txt (script.sh calls sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estebandido
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Utilize input file in place of argument

First I apologize for my ignorance as I am very new to the world of UNIX but love it and have a huge desire to learn it. A question I have is if a Korn script utilizes/relies on an argument to run, can you add these into a file and pipe them to the script without changing anything inside the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djzah
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for spaces in input argument!

Hi guys, I have created a csh script which allows user to pass input argument with the script like: cluster_on_lev3.csh -t <value> -p <value> Example: cluster_on_lev3.csh -t 2.3 -p 0.05 Now I want to create an error code where if user passes input argument without spaces , the code... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass each line of a text file as an argument to a command?

I'm looking to write a script that takes a .txt filename as an argument, reads the file line by line, and passes each line to a command. For example, it runs command --option "LINE 1", then command --option "LINE 2", etc. I am fetching object files from a library file, I have all the object file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Martins
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating file and passing argument to a command

Hi All, I am having command to run which will take argument as input file. Right now we are creating the input file by cat and executing the command ftptransfer -i input file cat >input file file1 file2 cntrl +d Is there a way I can do that in a single command like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to iterate a function untill last argument with any order of input?

HI I need to get the function "kick" to get executed in any way the parameters are passed in to the function. The parameters are first stored in a dictionary self.otherlist = {} print self.otherlist self.populateTestList(self.system_type) print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies

10. Programming

Python script to grep fields and use values from file 1 as argument for another command

Hi Experts, I am working one one python script in version 3.x and 2.6. Need your support to complete it Basically for both commands i have telnet to device and run command and then receiving input File 1 and File 2 I have two commands, need to grep data and output in csv file. Next script/code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
0 Replies
RENICE(1)							   User Commands							 RENICE(1)

NAME
renice - alter priority of running processes SYNOPSIS
renice [-n] priority [-g|-p|-u] identifier... DESCRIPTION
renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes. The first argument is the priority value to be used. The other arguments are interpreted as process IDs (by default), process group IDs, user IDs, or user names. renice'ing a process group causes all processes in the process group to have their scheduling priority altered. renice'ing a user causes all processes owned by the user to have their scheduling priority altered. OPTIONS
-n, --priority priority Specify the scheduling priority to be used for the process, process group, or user. Use of the option -n or --priority is optional, but when used it must be the first argument. -g, --pgrp Interpret the succeeding arguments as process group IDs. -p, --pid Interpret the succeeding arguments as process IDs (the default). -u, --user Interpret the succeeding arguments as usernames or UIDs. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
The following command would change the priority of the processes with PIDs 987 and 32, plus all processes owned by the users daemon and root: renice +1 987 -u daemon root -p 32 NOTES
Users other than the superuser may only alter the priority of processes they own. Furthermore, an unprivileged user can only increase the ``nice value'' (i.e., choose a lower priority) and such changes are irreversible unless (since Linux 2.6.12) the user has a suitable ``nice'' resource limit (see ulimit(1) and getrlimit(2)). The superuser may alter the priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range -20 to 19. Useful priorities are: 19 (the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things go very fast). FILES
/etc/passwd to map user names to user IDs SEE ALSO
nice(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), credentials(7), sched(7) HISTORY
The renice command appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
The renice command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 RENICE(1)