Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge different files into the original file Post 302881847 by PikK45 on Thursday 2nd of January 2014 08:37:34 AM
Old 01-02-2014
how do you want to merge?? Just appending the contents? in that case. try cat A[1-3].txt >> A2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge two files in one file

All, I've basic knowlege on understanding UNIX Shell Programming. Right now I need to write a script for the following requirement. Kindly help me or suggest me how to write a Shell script. I've 8 .csv files that are containing "Detail" records. Each file getting more than 1 million. Another... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files whose names are given in other file

Hi, I have a pointer file ptr.txt. There may be any number of files mentioned in the ptr.txt file eg: cat ptr.txt /home/abc.txt /home/pqr.txt /home/xyz.txt I have to read this pointer file and merge the files given in the pointer file so that final file say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harshada
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge two files into one file use awk

Hi, guys. I have one question: I have two files: passwd and shadow (the number of records in these files are not equal)the contents of them are below: passwd: ************** ftp:x:24:24: sshd:x:71:65: uucp:x:10:14: brownj:x:5005:1000: sherrys: x :5006:1000: ... ************* ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 3 files in 1 file in an ordered way

Hi, I have a question that I cannot solve. if I have a file like this (lets say "x-values.dat"): x1 x2 x3 another file like this (lets say "y-values.dat"): y1 y2 y3 y4 and another file like this (lets say "p-values.dat"): p1 p2 p3 ... p12 How can I get this output? x1 y1 p1 x1 y2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: lego
16 Replies

6. Programming

Merge files from /etc to one file using C

Hi guys, I have a question which might be easy to answer but I don't how to do it. The thing is I need to make a program in C which creates a file with all the content from the files in \etc. I'm not new to C language but to UNIX. I've read somewhere I need to use functions like f_read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sussil
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge CSV files and create a column with the filename from the original file

Hello everyone!! I am not completely new to shell script but I havent been able to find the answer to my problem and I'm sure there are some smart brains here up for the challenge :D. I have several CSV files that I need to combine into one, but I also need to know where each row came from.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fransanchezoria
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files into one file

Hi, I need help with merging two files. My requirement is as below: File 1: MachineA MachineB File 2: Process1 Process2 Desired File: MachineA Process1 MachineB Process2 If file 2 contains only one entry Process1, then second line in the desired output should be: MachineA Process1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy files and record original file location?

:EDIT: I think my post name should have been labeled: how to copy files and record original file location. not "retain". Hello, this is my first post! I searched the forums a lot before posting, but was unable to answer my question. Here's my problem: There are several hundred text files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: willie8605
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to merge two files into third file?

Hi All, i have a requirement as below. There are two files. In 1st file a.txt i have four lines as below Ramesh Suresh Pradeep Franklin In 2nd file b.txt i have 5 lines as below Francis Elizabeth David John Ravi The output file suppose c.txt should contain 1st line of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshk_85
5 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-cat. See gvfs-cat(1). gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-cat(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-cat(1)