Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble reading content of file from a variable Post 302880549 by Ravindra Swan on Friday 20th of December 2013 11:38:39 AM
Old 12-20-2013
Trouble reading content of file from a variable

Hi ,

i have a parameter which has path of a file. Now i need to have another parameter with the content of that file. I tried the belwo script , can any one please help.
I dont want to use cat command to read. Can we do it with out using cat command.
Code:
 while read line
do
DML_FILE_NAME_ORIG1=`echo $line|awk 'BEGIN { FS = "|" } ; {print $1}'`

echo "DML_FILE_NAME_ORIG1=$DML_FILE_NAME_ORIG1"

DML_FILE_NAME_NEW_MODIFIED=${AI_DML}/testharness_modified.dml
cp $DML_FILE_NAME_ORIG1 ${AI_DML}/testharness_modified.dml
sed -i '/record/r ${AI_BIN}/modift_test_harness.txt' ${AI_DML}/testharness_modified.dml

echo "Contents of DML_FILE_NAME_NEW_MODIFIED"
echo `cat $DML_FILE_NAME_NEW_MODIFIED`
done<$AI_BIN/input.txt

Code:
> cat AI_BIN/input.txt
$AI_DML/a.dml

> cat $AI_DML/a.dml
include '~$STI_TOOLS_DML/data_quality.dml';
metadata type =
/* DML Generated for SQL: SELECT * FROM cdm_5.FT_ARNGE_CRED_RISK_MTGT_FACT
 * On: Thu Mar 29 06:40:06 2012
 */
record
  decimal("\x01") mth_rpt_perd_dim_id /*INTEGER NOT NULL*/;
  decimal("\x01") core_arnge_dim_id /*INTEGER NOT NULL*/;
end

> cat ${AI_BIN}/modift_test_harness.txt
string("\x01") key1 = NULL("");
string("\x01") key2 = NULL("");

Last edited by Ravindra Swan; 12-20-2013 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: content missed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading a file and sending mail based on content of the file

Hi Gurus, I am having an requirement. i have to read a list file which contains file names and send mail to different users based on the files in the list file. eg. if file a.txt exists then send a mail to a@a.com simillary for b.txt,c.txt etc. Thanks for your help, Nimu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimu1979
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in reading a file content

Hi, I am reading a file line by line using read line function of while loop. Each line contains 4 fields. I want to take these 4 values in 4 variables in each iteration so that i can use them in my script. The issue here is that my awk command is returning awkward results - Here is a sample line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: garman
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading content of a variable to create a new one?

Hello. I've written up a script, that populates a variable with a list of tapes returned from my library. For example: 701940L3,701941L3,701942L3,701943L3,701944L3,701945L3,701946L3,701947L3,701948L3 So now, the variable "TAPELIST" contains those numbers, delimited by commas. I'd like to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble reading [noeol] file

cat can't show the last line of a file sftp transffered from Windows, because the last line is not ended with new line. Vi can show all line with warning I can append blank line in order for cat to show all lines, But is there a command to do this without modifying the file? > cat -A... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading files under a folder and formatting content of each file

I have 'n' number of files in a folder .each file in the folder "myfolder" is having the content like. COLNAME ------------ AAAAAA BBBBBB CCCCCC DDDDDD ... ... ... ZZZZZZ 26 recrod(s) selected. My request is by reading each file in "myfolder" and format each file such a way... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with variable assignment and reading in shell scripting

Hi, I have an inputfile with some table names in it. For ex: t_arnge t_profl t_fac I need a script which reads the line one by one and need to assign to some dynamic variable. If to explain the above example: i need some a=table_name1 table_name1=t_arnge in first time and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble reading from a tab delimited excel file

So I have a file1.txt that is tab delimited: e.g. FIELD1 FIELD2 FIELD3 FIELD4 FIELD5 9545641 123 "Neighbor and Labrador,Canada" 54895 'CANADA' 9456465 456 "Neighbor and Labrador,Canada" 54893 'CANADA' 8746512 789 "Neighbor and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dan139
11 Replies

10. Programming

Reading flat file content

is there any unix tools that can read the text files like through SQL queries? (ie in Hadoop, Impala DB support flat file query) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omykarshan
1 Replies
DH_INSTALLINIT(1)						     Debhelper							 DH_INSTALLINIT(1)

NAME
dh_installinit - install init scripts and/or upstart jobs into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installinit [debhelperoptions] [--name=name] [-n] [-R] [-r] [-d] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_installinit is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing init scripts with associated defaults files, as well as upstart job files into package build directories. It also automatically generates the postinst and postrm and prerm commands needed to set up the symlinks in /etc/rc*.d/ to start and stop the init scripts. FILES
debian/package.init If this exists, it is installed into etc/init.d/package in the package build directory. debian/package.default If this exists, it is installed into etc/default/package in the package build directory. debian/package.upstart If this exists, it is installed into etc/init/package.conf in the package build directory. OPTIONS
-n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/postrm/prerm scripts. -o, --onlyscripts Only modify postinst/postrm/prerm scripts, do not actually install any init script, default files, or upstart job. May be useful if the init script or upstart job is shipped and/or installed by upstream in a way that doesn't make it easy to let dh_installinit find it. -R, --restart-after-upgrade Do not stop the init script until after the package upgrade has been completed. This is different than the default behavior, which stops the script in the prerm, and starts it again in the postinst. This can be useful for daemons that should not have a possibly long downtime during upgrade. But you should make sure that the daemon will not get confused by the package being upgraded while it's running before using this option. -r, --no-restart-on-upgrade Do not stop init script on upgrade. --no-start Do not start the init script on install or upgrade, or stop it on removal. Only call update-rc.d. Useful for rcS scripts. -d, --remove-d Remove trailing d from the name of the package, and use the result for the filename the upstart job file is installed as in etc/init/ , and for the filename the init script is installed as in etc/init.d and the default file is installed as in etc/default/ . This may be useful for daemons with names ending in d. (Note: this takes precedence over the --init-script parameter described below.) -uparams --update-rcd-params=params -- params Pass params to update-rc.d(8). If not specified, defaults will be passed to update-rc.d(8). --name=name Install the init script (and default file) as well as upstart job file using the filename name instead of the default filename, which is the package name. When this parameter is used, dh_installinit looks for and installs files named debian/package.name.init, debian/package.name.default and debian/package.name.upstart instead of the usual debian/package.init, debian/package.default and debian/package.upstart. --init-script=scriptname Use scriptname as the filename the init script is installed as in etc/init.d/ (and also use it as the filename for the defaults file, if it is installed). If you use this parameter, dh_installinit will look to see if a file in the debian/ directory exists that looks like package.scriptname and if so will install it as the init script in preference to the files it normally installs. This parameter is deprecated, use the --name parameter instead. This parameter is incompatible with the use of upstart jobs. --error-handler=function Call the named shell function if running the init script fails. The function should be provided in the prerm and postinst scripts, before the #DEBHELPER# token. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHORS
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@canonical.com> 9.20120909 2012-04-10 DH_INSTALLINIT(1)