Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mount /etc/fstab
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Mount /etc/fstab Post 302880475 by saurabh84g on Thursday 19th of December 2013 06:19:50 PM
Old 12-19-2013
Thanks...Issue was the syntax of fstab ( for nfs filesystem ) was not correct. So, it was treating the line as 2 diff line;s. Once's that is corrected long line worked fine.. Thanks for the all help.

-- Thread can be closed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/fstab

I've created a new drive and i've added it to my fstab file but on startup it will not mount. here is how i put it into my fstab file, is that right? /dev/hdb2 /disk2a ext3 defaults 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab question

Folks; Please be patient with this issue when you read it. I know it's a little tricky. I have a new share created on my SUSE 10 box. I'm trying to edit the /etc/fstab file or find a way to make this share needs no authentication. The reason for that is we're using an outside application to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FSTAB Problem

Hello, I transferred a machine from a tape back into a virtual machine. I created several paritions so I could xfter the date into them and made sda1 the active one. When I try and boot the VM it does not work. I used KNOPPIX to create the partitions and transfer the information from the tape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Using a variable in fstab

We have a load of servers which require cloning in VMWare, each of which have their own area on netapp for storage. I was trying to be a bit clever and use a variable within /etc/fstab so I dont need to edit it every time like so; netapp:/vol/vol_nfs_server/servers/`hostname | sed 's/\./ /g' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab

hi , i'm creating a shell script using fstab for my project of last year, i wonder you can help me to know what is the command allow me to get the list of unmounted partitions. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux001
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

fstab question

I have created a thumbdrive with a bootable version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it uses Grub legacy. One of the issues I have is that everytime I boot a new system from the thumbdrive, it writes entries for the partitions in the fstab. Consequently, when I boot another system, the OS reads the fstab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount/fstab Question . . .

Greetings! Got another basic question for the community :) After wiping a drive with dd, and calling mkfs.ext4 to set things up again, fstab seems to need to be refreshed somehow to allow a call to mount for the volume. What might the "secret handshake" be to pull this off without first... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/fstab mount issue

I have a virtual machine with Redhat installed . I am trying to link CD/DVD Drive 1 to /media/cdrom1 and CD/DVD Drive 0 to /media/cdrom0 I tried making these changed in /etc/fstab by adding the below line to it /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterthered
2 Replies

9. Linux

/etc/fstab entries

Hi, Can anyone explain why we use defaults 0 0 in fstab and what does 0 inidicate 10.250.104.50:/home/u /home/u nfs defaults 0 0 Thanks in advance Muzaffar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mount Linux filesystem not defined in etc/fstab

Hello, is there a way to mount a filesystem which is not defined in the etc/fstab ? Could someone share me any code or command (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxman
3 Replies
FSTAB(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  FSTAB(5)

NAME
fstab - static information about the filesystems SYNOPSIS
#include <fstab.h> DESCRIPTION
The file fstab contains descriptive information about the various file systems. fstab is only read by programs, and not written; it is the duty of the system administrator to properly create and maintain this file. Each filesystem is described on a separate line; fields on each line are separated by tabs or spaces. Lines starting with '#' are comments. The order of records in fstab is important because fsck(8), mount(8), and umount(8) sequentially iterate through fstab doing their thing. The first field, (fs_spec), describes the block special device or remote filesystem to be mounted. For ordinary mounts it will hold (a link to) a block special device node (as created by mknod(8)) for the device to be mounted, like `/dev/cdrom' or `/dev/sdb7'. For NFS mounts one will have <host>:<dir>, e.g., `knuth.aeb.nl:/'. For procfs, use `proc'. Instead of giving the device explicitly, one may indicate the (ext2 or xfs) filesystem that is to be mounted by its UUID or volume label (cf. e2label(8) or xfs_admin(8)), writing LABEL=<label> or UUID=<uuid>, e.g., `LABEL=Boot' or `UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106-a43f08d823a6'. This will make the system more robust: adding or removing a SCSI disk changes the disk device name but not the filesystem volume label. The second field, (fs_file), describes the mount point for the filesystem. For swap partitions, this field should be specified as `none'. If the name of the mount point contains spaces these can be escaped as `40'. The third field, (fs_vfstype), describes the type of the filesystem. Linux supports lots of filesystem types, such as adfs, affs, autofs, coda, coherent, cramfs, devpts, efs, ext2, ext3, hfs, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, ntfs, proc, qnx4, reiserfs, romfs, smbfs, sysv, tmpfs, udf, ufs, umsdos, vfat, xenix, xfs, and possibly others. For more details, see mount(8). For the filesystems currently supported by the running kernel, see /proc/filesystems. An entry swap denotes a file or partition to be used for swapping, cf. swapon(8). An entry ignore causes the line to be ignored. This is useful to show disk partitions which are currently unused. The fourth field, (fs_mntops), describes the mount options associated with the filesystem. It is formatted as a comma separated list of options. It contains at least the type of mount plus any additional options appropriate to the filesystem type. For documentation on the available options for non-nfs file systems, see mount(8). For documentation on all nfs-spe- cific options have a look at nfs(5). Common for all types of file system are the options ``noauto'' (do not mount when "mount -a" is given, e.g., at boot time), ``user'' (allow a user to mount), and ``owner'' (allow device owner to mount), and ``_netdev'' (device requires network to be available). The ``owner'' and ``_netdev'' options are Linux-specific. For more details, see mount(8). The fifth field, (fs_freq), is used for these filesystems by the dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped. If the fifth field is not present, a value of zero is returned and dump will assume that the filesystem does not need to be dumped. The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2. Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware. If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked. The proper way to read records from fstab is to use the routines getmntent(3). FILES
/etc/fstab SEE ALSO
getmntent(3), mount(8), swapon(8), fs(5) nfs(5) HISTORY
The ancestor of this fstab file format appeared in 4.0BSD. Linux 2.2 15 June 1999 FSTAB(5)