Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use GREP to count number of records and place it in a variable Post 302880460 by dhruuv369 on Thursday 19th of December 2013 04:37:11 PM
Old 12-19-2013
Use GREP to count number of records and place it in a variable

I am trying to count the number of records from different files using grep, and then place the result in a separate variable for each file, so at the end of my shell script, I can sum all the variables and check if the number of records are equal to what I was expecting. It is weird butwc -ldoes not give me the correct number of records for the files. So for this scenario I have to use only grep command. Please see below how I was trying to use the command:
Code:
Total_records_file1=`grep -c '.*' file1.txt`
Total_records_file2=`grep -c '.*' file2.txt`
Total_records_file(n)=`grep -c '.*' file(n).txt`

Where (n)=Nth number of file

I have also tried escaping the single quotes like below and it doesn't work
Code:
Total_records_file1=`grep -c \'.*\' file1.txt`
Total_records_file2=`grep -c \'.*\' file2.txt`
Total_records_file(n)=`grep -c \'.*\' file(n).txt`

and then sum up the variables using the code below:
Code:
Total_Sum_of_Records_in_Files=`expr ${Total_records_file1:-0} + ${Total_records_file2:-0} + ...... + ${Total_records_file(n):-0}`

Please advise if there are any other suggestions...

Last edited by dhruuv369; 12-19-2013 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Did not display any body for my question in the first time. This is happening every time I post a thread.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep all records in a file and get a word count -perl

Hi, I have a file .. file.txt .. i need to get a total record count in the files into a $variable.. im using perl script thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting grep -c results number in a variable

I want to display "no results found" if a grep search of a name that the user inputs is not found anywhere in a certain file, Right now I have this, but doesn't seem to work. Im not sure what to change. read name results=grep -c $name file if ; then echo "No results found." exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdude
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

number of occurence using grep -c then assigning it to a variable

Hi guys! I need to count the occurence of a certain pattern. For example the pattern is PC. the contents of the file sample.txt: A PC asdfgadfjkl asdfa PC sadfaf fdsPCasdfg if i use grep -c PC sample.txt it will display 3 as the number of occurence how do i save that number to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khestoi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP/AWK to extract a number and store it as a variable

Hello, I have a question regarding the awk command. Here is the line I need to grep: 1 F= -.13250138E+03 E0= -.13249556E+03 d E =-.174650E-01 mag= 35.2157 Instead of displaying the number in red I would like to store it as a variable such as X. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of files and use result as variable

Hi there I have a .ksh script that I am using on an AIX ( Actual Level 5.3.10.0, Maintenance Level 5.3.0.0) where I am logging into a windows box, doing a file count on that server and returning the output to the UNIX session. I would like to exit the script at this point in time if the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want count of number of records to be printed on each row.

we want the count of number of records to be printed on each row. For Ex: if there are 5 records on one unique id , the count "5'' should be printed on each record in other column. Please help for this. I am using unix & Cygwin. Below are sample records: KCZ0650473... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElijaRajesh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign number of records to a variable

How does one assign a variable, x to equal the number of records in a different file. I have a simple command such as below: awk -F "\t" '(NR>5) { if(($x == "0/0")) { print $0} }' a.txt > a1.txt but I want x to equal the number of records in a different file, b.txt (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
10 Replies
GZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GZGREP(1)

NAME
gzgrep, gzegrep, gzfgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
gzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
gzgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If gzgrep is invoked as gzegrep or gzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, gzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep gzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; gzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzmore(1), gznew(1), gzforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZGREP(1)