Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I store stdout in a variable? Post 302879282 by DJR on Wednesday 11th of December 2013 03:37:29 PM
Old 12-11-2013
How do I store stdout in a variable?

These seems ridiculously simple but I can't get it to work. Using korn shell and I want to pass in a flag to tell my echo statements to either write to the screen for debugging or a file if not. So I have something like:

Code:
if [ $testmode = TRUE ]; then
  logout=&1
else
  logout='logfile.out'
fi

Then later on:

Code:
echo messages>$logout

But I can't get it to write to the screen if testmode is TRUE. Tried logout=1,logout=stdout, pretty much every combination of escape/quote/backslashes around the 1 or &1 and nothing works.

What do I need to do?

Thanks,

Doug

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - get stdout name as variable

Writing a ksh script. If someone starts a process with: test.ksh > date.log How can I grab 'date.log' name as a variable in test.ksh? I need to get the 'date.log' name (not the contents) as a variable...without entering something like 'test.ksh date.log > date.log' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhcueball2
4 Replies

2. Programming

stdout to a variable?

Hi, I need to set stdout to go to a String variable, has anyone got any ideas? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cb.mark
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To store the output in a variable

Hi, I am getting the following error while executing the script. Please can someone throw some light where is the problem. Many thanks. ./check: temp: not found The directory related to SEP instance 4 does not exist. The script is as follows. SEP_APP="/scp/sepx/app... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Store command O/P to a variable...

Hi all.. I got a problem.. Its easy to redirect o/p to a file.. But Is it possible to redirect the O/P to a variable? For example: I've a command in my script: string1=cut -d ':' -f2 file.txt When I do: echo $string1 The value is empty... Pls suggest me how to store the value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartbuddy
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout to variable while printing it

Hi everybody, I am trying to do the thing you see in the title, and I can't simply do a=$(svn up) echo $a because the program (svn) gives output on lots of lines and in the variable the output is stored on only one line (resulting in a horribly formatted text). Any tips? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocirne94
2 Replies

7. Programming

how to store string in variable

sorry i'm newbies c programer how to store string to variable with value flexible. example int hh=1; ---> value flexible 1,2,3,4,5; int xx=1; ---> value flexible 1,2,3,4,5; char test="value=%d and value=%d",hh,xx; --> not working char test2="value2=%d and value2=%d",hh,xx; --> not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slackman
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't store value in the variable

!#bin/bash clear var= grep @gmail.com email.txt | wc -l echo $var echo $var exit 0 OUTPUT: 1000 _ _ Where _ represent space (no value or nothing) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rehan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store file name in a variable?

Hi All, Daily I am generating a file dfm_daily_file_ ex: dfm_daily_file_05072015 date will be changed daily. Once the file is FTP it is deleted. I have tried the below code to get the file name with any date and store it in a variable its not working. #!/bin/ksh ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store result variable

Friends have the following problem: cat $PATH_DAT/mr.txt | nawk 'BEGIN { CantPnt=0; NumReg=0; FS="|" } { NumReg++ CantPnt=CantPnt+int($2) } END{ printf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
5 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)