Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed: how do I insert a \ in my replace Post 302878087 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 4th of December 2013 02:00:45 PM
Old 12-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Do you mean something like:
Code:
echo "bla 'blabla\" bla" | sed "s/['\"]/\\\&/g"

If not, please provide input and output samples
For quoting quotes I am more used to
Code:
echo 'bla '\''blabla" bla' | sed 's/['\''"]/\\&/g'

that even works with a C-shell.
Rule: prefer the safer 'ticks' over the "quotes";
replace each ' within 'ticks' with '\''
so it becomes a \' escaped by the shell (outside the 'ticks').

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Text With Sed

Hello. Trying to insert text at line 1 and after last line of file. I have searched posts but nothing seems to work. I keep getting extra characters error or nothing gets inserted into the file. #!/bin/sh touch textfile.txt sed 'i\ Add this line before every line with WORD' textfile.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveramsey
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert line break + string in vi (search & replace )

Hello all i have big test file that has allot of structure text something like this : <foo1 *.html> <blah action> somthing 1 somthing 2 </blah> </foo1 > now i will like to insert 2 more lines of text below the <blah action> so it will be like : <foo1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace, insert n times a specific character

How can using Vim, replace one character with another repeating it 10 times? Ex.: Transforming this: 125A986 That: 125##########986 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: IJNeves
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to insert a separator

My txt file consists of records with 6 numbers followed by 3 characters. Is there a simple “sed” which will insert a | separator between the 6th and 7th position ? Many thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - insert two lines

I have done this sed command to insert one line after a specific string is found: sed '/patternstring/ a\ new line string' file1 But how do I insert two lines? This is not possible: sed '/patternstring/ a\ new line string \a new line string 2' file1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert/Update using sed

Hi, I have a xml file (Config.xml) with following entry <Date="" Node1="50" Groups="20"> Now I want to use sed to insert/update the Date field with the latest date say - 20120711. I can't use a simple replace command becuase the Date field could be blank ("") or sometimes could have value in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to insert a character

Hi all, I have a file like this Q8N302 21-84 Q8N157 15-45 Q99996 167-201 202-251 269-318 I want to insert a character or space if the line starts with a number and I used the command sed 's/^/#/' But in the output file, when it inserts this character, first digit in the number is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert text with sed ?

Hi I was wondering if anyone new of a solution to this problem? I need to copy a time stamp that is on a line of .text in a text file into multiple positions on the same line. I need to insert the time stamp on the same line between every occurance of the text ".pdf_.html" right after the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or sed to search, replace/insert chars!

HI All Im trying to come up with an approach to finding a string, using a portion of that string to insert it on lines starting with the value "GOTO" appending to end of line after removing PT's ( See example below! ) EXAMPLE: 1. I would like to search for the line that starts with "TLAXIS/"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: graymj
7 Replies
PPI::Token::BOM(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					PPI::Token::BOM(3)

NAME
PPI::Token::BOM - Tokens representing Unicode byte order marks INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::BOM isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
This is a special token in that it can only occur at the beginning of documents. If a BOM byte mark occurs elsewhere in a file, it should be treated as PPI::Token::Whitespace. We recognize the byte order marks identified at this URL: <http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM> UTF-32, big-endian 00 00 FE FF UTF-32, little-endian FF FE 00 00 UTF-16, big-endian FE FF UTF-16, little-endian FF FE UTF-8 EF BB BF Note that as of this writing, PPI only has support for UTF-8 (namely, in POD and strings) and no support for UTF-16 or UTF-32. We support the BOMs of the latter two for completeness only. The BOM is considered non-significant, like white space. METHODS
There are no additional methods beyond those provided by the parent PPI::Token and PPI::Element classes. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2011-02-26 PPI::Token::BOM(3)