Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change nth depending on matiching a pattern in Y line Post 302877931 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 3rd of December 2013 11:16:21 PM
Old 12-04-2013
Sorry I thought your input file was double spaced (blank line between each data line)

You should use [code] and [/code] tags around your data not [icode] and [/icode].

Also are some of those lines indented with spaces, it looks like they might be...This should work a little better:

Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '
  $2 ~ "^ *FILE_TRIGGER"{gsub(" *ENVAR ENV=/home2/[^\n]*\n","")}
  NF{printf "%s","/* -"$0}' RS='/[*] -' FS='\n' infile

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 12-04-2013 at 12:23 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut subsrting from string depending on pattern

Dears, i'm glad to be a member of this big UNIXer's group :( ,hoping to be one of'm. my question: how i get the subsrting ahmad "from" the string ".ahmad." for example ?? Thank you all. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muslem_it
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change line found by pattern using sed

I want to change a line like CPM_THRESHOLD 0.8 // to a new value using sed I am trying sed -i "s/CPM_THRESHOLD/CPM_THRESHOLD\t$COH\t\t\/\//" $INPUT_4 but how can i substitute the whole line begining with CPM_THRESHOLD and substitute it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To filter a certain pattern depending on neighbour

Hi, As I am new to filtering section of Unix I am facing a problem I have following lines in text file : Created RELEASE in dist/Apple_release_1_0_.zip Created RELEASE in dist/Banana_release_1_0_.zip Created RELEASE in dist/Mango_release_1_0_.zip Created RELEASE in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change variable name depending on iteration

Hi, I would like to get a solution to this situation if possible. In a "for" loop how can I assign a value to a variable and then change the name of that variable depending on the loop iteration? So what I am looking for is something like this in pseudo-code: for i in 1 2 3 4 do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yonderboy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename for Nth line pattern match

Hi, I have many scripts in particular directory. And few of the scripts have exit 0 in second line. Now i wanted to list out the scripts name which has the exit 0 in its second line I tried many options , but i can not get the filename along with the nth line pattern match :mad:. Can anyone... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern and replace x-y characters in nth line after every match

Hi, I am looking for any script which can do the following. have to read a pattern from fileA and copy it to fileB. fileA: ... ... Header ... ... ..p1 ... ... fileB: .... .... Header (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilvk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing nth and n+1th line after a pattern match

Hi , I want to print the nth and n+1 lines from a file once it gets a pattern match. For eg: aaa bbb ccc ddd gh jjjj If I find a match for bbb then I need to print bbb as well as 3rd and 4th line from the match.. Please help..Is it possible to get a command using sed :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert new pattern in newline after the nth occurrence of a line pattern - Bash in Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, I am getting crazy after days on looking at it: Bash in Ubuntu 12.04.1 I want to do this: pattern="system /path1/file1 file1" new_pattern=" data /path2/file2 file2" file to edit: data.db - I need to search in the file data.db for the nth occurrence of pattern - pattern must... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display when nth line match a pattern?

Hi All, I have sample of listing as following Database 2 entry: Database alias = PXRES Database name = PXRES Local database directory = /db2/data1/db2phnx Database release level = d.00 Comment ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
3 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)