Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH - case statement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH - case statement Post 302877757 by in2nix4life on Tuesday 3rd of December 2013 09:33:46 AM
Old 12-03-2013
Put quotes around the $var variable in the case statement:

Code:
echo "Enter the character: "
read var
case "$var" in
[a-z])
    echo "Entered a lowercase alphabet"
    ;;
[A-Z])
    echo "Entered a uppercase alphabet"
    ;;
[0-9])
    echo "Entered a numeric value"
    ;;
?)
    echo "Entered a special character"
    ;;
*)
    echo "Entered more than one character"
    ;;
esac

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement

Hi all, is it possible to create a 'dynamic' case statement. ie select option in `ls` do case satement depending on results of the above `ls` done I hope I have explained this ok! Thanks Helen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement

Hi, I am writing case statement to execute some finction, my requirement is once one of the case statement is executed again it has to prompt for the option. for script in `echo "$Script_Selected"` do case $script in 1) getNoOFActUsers ;; 2) moveServerrOORotation ;; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] recognise new line regex in case statement

Hi, I'm trying to write a routine to parse a file that contains data that will be read into arrays. The file is composed of labels to identify data types and arbitrary lines of data with the usual remarks and empty new lines as is common with config files. The initial pass is built as so:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash case statement output help

greetings, I have a script that is taking input like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd and formating it to be like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adambot
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you use logical operators in a case statement (bash)?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I'm working on a log monitoring script and every 10 lines I want to display a summary of events. The thing is, there are a lot of possible events, that likely won't have happened, so I only want... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement

Hello, The standard case statement :- case "$1" in "IE0263") commands;; "IE0264") commands;; esac is it possible to have :- case "$1" in "IE0263" OR "IE0878") commands;; "IE0264") commands;; esac Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmahal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using bash case statement

I have the following bash script and it is not accepting the lines "--"|"--""-") "--""-"") while do echo "Current Argument is ${1}" case "$1" in "--"|"--""-") echo "Argument is ${1}" shift # Skip ahead one to the next argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case Statement

Hey, guys I really need some help with a project. "Write a shell program that examines the command line arguments, counts and collects the number of options. Basically it has to collect and count the arguments that start with a "-" and the one's that don't start with a - I know I have to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk192010`
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash case Statement and Using Line Anchors?

Hello All, I am writing a script that is to be placed on multiple servers, and of course I've started running into some compatibility issues for certain shell commands. The code below worked just fine on most of my machines except for a couple. Here I had 4 separate lines in my script that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_UniCharToUpper, Tcl_UniCharToLower, Tcl_UniCharToTitle, Tcl_UtfToUpper, Tcl_UtfToLower, Tcl_UtfToTitle - routines for manipulating the case of Unicode characters and UTF-8 strings SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToUpper(ch) Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToLower(ch) Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToTitle(ch) int Tcl_UtfToUpper(str) int Tcl_UtfToLower(str) int Tcl_UtfToTitle(str) ARGUMENTS
int ch (in) The Tcl_UniChar to be converted. char *str (in/out) Pointer to UTF-8 string to be converted in place. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The first three routines convert the case of individual Unicode characters: If ch represents a lower-case character, Tcl_UniCharToUpper returns the corresponding upper-case character. If no upper-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. If ch represents an upper-case character, Tcl_UniCharToLower returns the corresponding lower-case character. If no lower-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. If ch represents a lower-case character, Tcl_UniCharToTitle returns the corresponding title-case character. If no title-case character is defined, it returns the corresponding upper-case character. If no upper-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. Title-case is defined for a small number of characters that have a different appearance when they are at the beginning of a capitalized word. The next three routines convert the case of UTF-8 strings in place in memory: Tcl_UtfToUpper changes every UTF-8 character in str to upper-case. Because changing the case of a character may change its size, the byte offset of each character in the resulting string may differ from its original location. Tcl_UtfToUpper writes a null byte at the end of the converted string. Tcl_UtfToUpper returns the new length of the string in bytes. This new length is guaranteed to be no longer than the original string length. Tcl_UtfToLower is the same as Tcl_UtfToUpper except it turns each character in the string into its lower-case equivalent. Tcl_UtfToTitle is the same as Tcl_UtfToUpper except it turns the first character in the string into its title-case equivalent and all fol- lowing characters into their lower-case equivalents. BUGS
At this time, the case conversions are only defined for the ISO8859-1 characters. Unicode characters above 0x00ff are not modified by these routines. KEYWORDS
utf, unicode, toupper, tolower, totitle, case Tcl 8.1 Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)