Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Applying awk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Applying awk Post 302877342 by jimmyf on Saturday 30th of November 2013 12:14:56 AM
Old 11-30-2013
Applying awk

I have a file that is formatted like this:
Code:
========
aaaa  11111
bbbb  2222
cccc   3333
============
dddd  4444
eeee  5555
ffff     6666
============

trying to get the file to look like this:
Code:
======
aaaa  aaaa 1111
aaaa bbbb 2222
aaaa cccc 3333
=============
dddd dddd 4444
dddd eeee 5555
dddd ffff 6666
============

so want the 1st word to become a column but only between the = signs. Have this awk line but can't figure out how to make it work for each group between the = signs.
Code:
awk 'NR==1 {T=$1} {print T, $0}' file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying lock on a file in Unix Ksh

Hi, How can we apply lock on a text file through Unix Ksh script. I did found a command flock (file descriptor) but am not very acquainted with the usage. Can anybody tell me if I need to use Flock command for applying locks to a file while writing on it. If the person can explain the usage... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kum5256
3 Replies

2. Programming

Applying a filter function

I have an L point filter flt which I need to apply to an array fin length N, the result being stored in fout. The filter will start shifting until one gets to the last element of fin. How can I do this. I ma getting quite confused. :wall: I got an array of indices ixa and ixb which give the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

3. Programming

Applying filters

I have a value X, a value DX and an odd integer N (say N=9) and want to create an array such that let X = 10, DX = 2 and N = 9 DIST(1) = X - 4 * DX DIST(2) = X - 3 * DX DIST(3) = X - 2 * DX DIST(4) = X - DX DIST(5) = X DIST(6) = X + DX DIST(7) = X + 2 * DX DIST(8) = X + 3 * DX DIST(9)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

4. AIX

applying patches in aix 5.3

Hi Admins, Basically i am HPUX guy.HP will release patch bundles every three months and the same we are applying on servers as proactive steps. Please let me know how it happens with AIX. My servers are AIX 5.3 with TL 10 and some are TL 7. These servers are installed 2 years back and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newaix
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

applying unix command in EBCIDIC file

Hi, I'm having a general query. If we do cat <file name> on a Ebcidic format file then many unknown characters are displayed in my screen. Can we change the character set related to EBCIDIC in session level and apply the cat command on a EBCIDIC file? By doing so can we able to see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need in applying logic in one script

Hello Experts, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shams.abbazi@gm
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying the same awk over a directory of files with individual file output

I am trying to apply an awk action over multiple files in a directory. It is a simple action, I want to print out the 1st 2 columns (i.e. $1 and $2) in each tab-separated document and output the result in a new file *.pp This is the awk that I have come up with so far, which is not giving me a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Recompile the kernel after applying a patch in Ubuntu.

I have applied a patch using this command: patch -p1 < (file) then I did git commit -a. Now I want to recompile the kernel for making this patch live. Should I use make oldconfig or make localmodconfig After that, make -j$(grep -c "processor" /proc/cpuinfo) sudo make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BHASKAR JUPUDI
1 Replies

9. Debian

Applying patch for Samba version 4.1.17

The version of Samba in our billing server is 4.1.17-Debian. I have been reminded by our management to implement the patch for Samba on this server. However, I am not sure how to implement the patch. I have browsed some websites for the correct patch to implement for Samba 4.1.17, and the patch... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
11 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)