Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Appending a files contents to the end of a specific file name in several directories Post 302877340 by Don Cragun on Friday 29th of November 2013 11:05:39 PM
Old 11-30-2013
With this directory structure, the simplest thing to do is:
Code:
cd /tmp/dave
for i in */test.txt
do      cat append.txt >> $i
done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending a line to the end of several hundred files

I have a bunch of files named publish.php within subdirs. I need to append a line at the end of each file. I thought I could do it with find and echo like this: find . -name publish.php -exec echo "<? include('path/to/file.php'); ?>" >> '{}' \; but that appends the line to a file named {}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: surroscape
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending date at the end of the file

I have file called xx Now i want to rename this file as xxYYYYMMDD_HHMIAM.xls Here is my code.. export DATE1=`date +%Y%m%d` mv xx xx$DATE1 This code renames as xxYYYYMMDD Now how can i append HHMIAM at the end of the file? Any help is appreciated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string at the end of the file

Hello, I wanted to append 'XYZ' at the end of the text file. How can i do this? I searched the forums and i am not getting what i want. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Appending the contents of two files in computational manner

Hi, I have two files say file 1 file 2 File1 1 2 4 5 File 2 asdf adf How to get the ouput something like asdf1 adf1 asdf2 adf2 asdf4 adf4 asdf5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ecearund
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a new field at the end in a file

can anyone tell me please ......how to append a new field at the end of a file with the help of sed or some other command in bourne shell (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpta
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending a blank line for a group of files at the end

hi, i m having a group of files starting with name 'Itemdelete<timestamp>' . my requirment is to append a blank line at the end of files ,using unix in all the Itemdelete* files with a single unix command without using scripts.can any body put some light to this requiremnt. regards Angel (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending newline character End of File

Hi Gurus, Need help. I'm a beginner in Unix. I have a requirement, need to add or append newline (\n) character in file. Sample Data: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#Output: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#\n -- append only... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gouri Solleti
13 Replies
GAPPLETVIEWER(1)                                                        GNU                                                       GAPPLETVIEWER(1)

NAME
gappletviewer - Load and runs an applet SYNOPSIS
appletviewer [OPTION]... URL... appletviewer [OPTION]... -code CODE appletviewer [OPTION]... -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT DESCRIPTION
The appletviewer tool loads and runs an applet. Use the first form to test applets specified by tag. The URL should resolve to an HTML document from which the appletviewer will extract applet tags. The APPLET, EMBED and OBJECT tags are supported. If a given document contains multiple applet tags, all the applets will be loaded, with each applet appearing in its own window. Likewise, when multiple URLs are specified, each applet tag instance is given its own window. If a given document contains no recognized tags the appletviewer does nothing. appletviewer http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ Use the second form to test an applet in development. This form allows applet tag attributes to be supplied on the command line. Only one applet may be specified using the -code option. The -code option overrides the URL form -- any URLs specified will be ignored. appletviewer -code Test.class -param datafile,data.txt gcjwebplugin uses the third form to communicate with the appletviewer through named pipes. OPTIONS
URL OPTIONS -debug This option is not yet implemented but is provided for compatibility. -encoding CHARSET Use this option to specify an alternate character encoding for the specified HTML page. APPLET TAG OPTIONS -code CODE Use the -code option to specify the value of the applet tag CODE attribute. -codebase CODEBASE Use the -codebase option to specify the value of the applet tag CODEBASE attribute. -archive ARCHIVE Use the -archive option to specify the value of the applet tag ARCHIVE attribute. -width WIDTH Use the -width option to specify the value of the applet tag WIDTH attribute. -height HEIGHT Use the -height option to specify the value of the applet tag HEIGHT attribute. -param NAME,VALUE Use the -param option to specify values for the NAME and VALUE attributes of an applet PARAM tag. PLUGIN OPTION -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT gcjwebplugin uses the -plugin option to specify the named pipe the appletviewer should use for receiving commands (INPUT) and the one it should use for sending commands to gcjwebplugin (OUTPUT). DEBUGGING OPTION -verbose Use the -verbose option to have the appletviewer print debugging messages. STANDARD OPTIONS -help Use the -help option to have the appletviewer print a usage message, then exit. -version Use the -version option to have the appletviewer print its version, then exit. -JOPTION Use the -J option to pass OPTION to the virtual machine that will run the appletviewer. Unlike other options, there must not be a space between the -J and OPTION. BUGS
SEE ALSO
AUTHOR
0.98 2010-07-05 GAPPLETVIEWER(1)