Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Help understanding how swap works Post 302877271 by kuriosity_prime on Friday 29th of November 2013 11:50:21 AM
Old 11-29-2013
Awesome. Makes more sense now. Many thanks to you both!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How ls | wc -l works?

ls displays files in tabbed output. Say a directory contains 3 files. ls will list all 3 in one line. So, I expect ls | wc -l to give 1, but it counts the nr of files and gives 3. Can someone explain how this works? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies

3. Programming

how this works?

pls explain me how this works.... DECODE (SUBSTR (field, 1, 1),'''', '''''' || field || '''','''' || field || '''') here field is a column in an oracle table.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>./a.pl works, >a.pl - does not

When I try to execute script, I get message: >aa.pl zsh: command not found: aa.pl but >./aa.pl works OK. What to change in environment to force the former way to work? Thank you, Alex Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzol
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How this works?

I have a program............ #include<stdio.h> #include<unistd.h> main() { if(fork == 0) { printf("Hi every body:p!!!!!!!!!!"); } } This program works with out any error. here fork is not a system call. It just act as a variable.But how it works without declaring it? What data type it... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: carolsanjeevi
19 Replies

8. Solaris

Help on Understanding Swap Size

Hi All, I want to know how to understand the actual swap size. My o/p shows as below root@ecovs1a # swap -s total: 4546056k bytes allocated + 358856k reserved = 4904912k used, 5046688k available root@ecovs1a # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/md/dsk/d31 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies

10. AIX

Help in understanding how backup and restore works in any organization?

Please take your time to answer/comment. no urgency. it would help upcoming sysadmins like me in understanding how things work in real time. OS: AIX Middleware: Weblogic/WAS Database: Oracle DB/IBM DB2 Backup s/w tools: not available as of now (except native OS commands/utilities) I'm a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron8667
5 Replies
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats - Collect linux memory information. SYNOPSIS
use Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats; my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new; my $stat = $lxs->get; DESCRIPTION
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats gathers memory statistics from the virtual /proc filesystem (procfs). For more information read the documentation of the front-end module Sys::Statistics::Linux. MEMORY INFORMATIONS
Generated by /proc/meminfo. memused - Total size of used memory in kilobytes. memfree - Total size of free memory in kilobytes. memusedper - Total size of used memory in percent. memtotal - Total size of memory in kilobytes. buffers - Total size of buffers used from memory in kilobytes. cached - Total size of cached memory in kilobytes. realfree - Total size of memory is real free (memfree + buffers + cached). realfreeper - Total size of memory is real free in percent of total memory. swapused - Total size of swap space is used is kilobytes. swapfree - Total size of swap space is free in kilobytes. swapusedper - Total size of swap space is used in percent. swaptotal - Total size of swap space in kilobytes. swapcached - Memory that once was swapped out, is swapped back in but still also is in the swapfile. active - Memory that has been used more recently and usually not reclaimed unless absolutely necessary. inactive - Memory which has been less recently used and is more eligible to be reclaimed for other purposes. On earlier kernels (2.4) Inact_dirty + Inact_laundry + Inact_clean. The following statistics are only available by kernels from 2.6. slab - Total size of memory in kilobytes that used by kernel for data structure allocations. dirty - Total size of memory pages in kilobytes that waits to be written back to disk. mapped - Total size of memory in kilbytes that is mapped by devices or libraries with mmap. writeback - Total size of memory that was written back to disk. committed_as - The amount of memory presently allocated on the system. The following statistic is only available by kernels from 2.6.9. commitlimit - Total amount of memory currently available to be allocated on the system. METHODS
new() Call "new()" to create a new object. my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new; It's possible to set the path to the proc filesystem. Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new( files => { # This is the default path => '/proc', meminfo => 'meminfo', } ); get() Call "get()" to get the statistics. "get()" returns the statistics as a hash reference. my $stat = $lxs->get; EXPORTS
No exports. SEE ALSO
proc(5) REPORTING BUGS
Please report all bugs to <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. AUTHOR
Jonny Schulz <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006, 2007 by Jonny Schulz. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-09 Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)