Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modify hour crontab UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Modify hour crontab UNIX Post 302876940 by vbe on Wednesday 27th of November 2013 09:37:29 AM
Old 11-27-2013
And you believe that modifying the line, will suffice for cron to update? What OS are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a script to modify the crontab

I want to add one line to the end of my crontab using a script. I have tried piping in the editor commands, but I can't get it to work. crontab -e user << EX $a This is the text I want to add. . wq EX This doesn't work. Is there an easier way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify crontab file on many hosts...

Hi everyone taking a second to read this :D, I need to modify a line from the root crontab file... Usually, if I need to do this I use the crontab -e, which opens up the file with Vi, then I edit it and there's no problem. Now, I need to do this but on many servers at the same time... Like in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Casey
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab for every minute or every hour

How to set crontab for every minute or every hour (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk for modify hour in a crontab AIX

Hi, I want to modifiy the hour in the crontab AIX 5.3 for this line: Input: 00 22 * * * /outillage/script_exploit/bin/SavOffline.ksh > /dev/null 2>&1 Output: 30 20 * * * /outillage/script_exploit/bin/SavOffline.ksh > /dev/null 2>&1 With the awk or sed function through a ssh -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Run a job every hour without using crontab

Hi, Can anyone help me in finding how to run a specific job every hour without using crontab. Say for example i need to run a command ps -aux in the starting of every hour.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glv
3 Replies

6. AIX

crontab 1 hour off from current time

This is a new one on me. We upgraded a system from AIX 5.3 TL 7 to 6.1 TL 7 yesterday. The app people notified us that their cron jobs weren't running at the right time. So I made a test cron entry and here's what I've found: # crontab -l * * * * * /usr/bin/date > /tmp/test.log 2>&1 # cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeyjoe
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab not working with the hour configuration

Hi, When I set the crontab to run every minute, every hour, it works fine. * * * * * env > /tmp/env.output However I want to run it every day at 8:00 AM and it does not run. * 8 * * * env > /tmp/env.output I ran the 'date' command which says it's 8AM PST and also the 'TZ'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samantha13
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 9 Zone : Date command in crontab shows delayed(One Hour) output

SOLARIS 9 Zone : date command in crontab shows delayed(One Hour) output Hi folks, the date command shows the correct date and time, How ever, if the date command executed through crontab in any form of scrip the output shows as one hour delayed, similar to date -u.. Can some one help in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: judi
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

E-mail based on crontab hour

I have a cron: 0 5,11,17,23 * * * /home/oracle/scripts/sysize.ksh This cron will trigger cat dbsz.txt | mail -s "$TODAY: PROD DB Size" $RECIPIENTS I don't want to get the e-mail notice 4 times a day. Can I have just one e-mail triggered at 11 AM? Please advise. Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab error - bad hour

Hi All, While setting the crontab i am getting the below error, "/tmp/crontab.XXXXwKymEc" 156L, 15621C written crontab: installing new crontab "/tmp/crontab.XXXXwKymEc":74: bad hour Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
2 Replies
crontab(5)							File Formats Manual							crontab(5)

Name
       crontab - clock daemon table file

Syntax
       /usr/lib/crontab

Description
       The  command  executes  at  specified dates and times according to the instructions in the file. The file consists of lines with six fields
       each.  The format for a line is as follows:

minute hour day month weekday command

The following list defines each field in the line:

minute (0-59)  The exact minute that the command sequence executes.

hour (0-23)    The hour of the day that the command sequence executes.

day (1-31)     The day of the month that the command sequence executes.

month (1-12)   The month of the year that the command sequence executes.

weekday (1-7)  The day of the week that the command sequence executes. Monday = 1, Tuesday = 2, and so forth.

command	      The complete command sequence variable that is to be executed.  Note that the command string must conform  to  Bourne  shell
		      syntax.

The first five integer fields may be specified as follows:

o   A single number in the specified range

o   Two numbers separated by a minus, meaning a range inclusive

o   A list of numbers separated by commas, meaning any of the numbers

o   An asterisk meaning all legal values

The sixth field is a string that is executed by the shell at the specified times.  A percent sign (%) in this field is translated to a new-
       line character.	Only the first line of the command field, up to a percent sign (%) or end of line, is executed by the  shell.	The  other
       lines are made available to the command as standard input.

Examples
       The following example is part of a file:
       # periodic things
       0,15,30,45 * * * * (echo '^M' `date`; echo '') >/dev/console
       0,15,30,45 * * * * /usr/lib/atrun

# daily stuff
       5 4 * * * sh /usr/adm/newsyslog
       15 4 * * * ( cd /usr/preserve; find . -mtime +7 -a -exec rm -f {} ; )
       20 4 * * * find /usr/msgs -mtime +21 -a ! -perm 444 -a ! -name bounds
	    -a -exec rm -f {} ;

# NOTE: The above line is wrapped.

# local cleanups
       30 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name df-exec rm {} ;
       35 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name tf-exec rm {} ;
       40 4 * * * find /usr/spool/rwho -type f -mtime +21 -exec rm {} ;
       #

# redirecting error output
       0 17 * * 1,3,5 /bin/tar -cv /usr/sysads/smith > /dev/console 2>&1
       #

Files
See Also
       sh(1), cron(8)
       Guide to System Environment Setup

crontab(5)