Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replace second match+awk/sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace second match+awk/sed Post 302876292 by Corona688 on Friday 22nd of November 2013 04:31:05 PM
Old 11-22-2013
Hmm, I think I might be beginning to get it:

Code:
awk '
# Store all time entries
NR==FNR && /time/ { A[++N]=$2" "$3 ; next }
/time/ { M++ } # Count entry number in second pass
# Truncate line to close sensor trillium_240_2, and add new date to end
((M%2) == 0) && /close/ { NF=3; $0=$0" "A[M+1] } 1' inputfile inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed scripting, match text within line and replace

New to sed... Have a file foo.txt (below). Need to replace text on 2 lines, but can only feed sed the first few characters of each line (all lines are unique). So, in my example, I have put '$' in place of what I need to figure out how to feed the whole line. What I have thus far: sed -e... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: boolean2222
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to replace exact match, not first occurrence.

Lets say I have file.txt: (Product:Price:QuantityAvailable) (: as delimiter) Chocolate:5:5 Banana:33:3 I am doing a edit/update function. I want to change the Quantity Available, so I tried using the SED command to replace 5, but my Price which is also 5 is changed instead. (for the Banana... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and replace value in 2 different places using awk

Hi, I need help on replacing values in certain field in my file1.txt based on matched patterns in file2.txt using awk. The blue color need to match with one of the data in field $2 in file2.txt. If match, BEGIN and FINISHED value in red will have a new value from field $3 and $4 accordingly.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match a Pattern & Replace The value Using AWK

I have a csv file in which i have to search a particular string and replace the data in any column with something else. How do i do it using awk. file ------ 2001,John,USA,MN,20101001,29091.50,M,Active,Y 2002,Mike,USA,NY,20090130,342.00,M,Pending,N... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheel
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk/sed match and extraction

Hi, I have a file like this- aa 12 23 34 aa 21 34 56 aa 78 45 56 I want to print out only the lines after the last aa. How do I do this? I tried using grep -A and sed -n, but both didnt work as I wanted to. Could someone help me out please.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Character match and replace

Hello All I am struck in the issue which I want to share with all of you. What I am trying to do is For every line in a file I have to replace a particular character from the given character in a file For Example Suppose the data is 1111x2222 1111x2222 2222y3333 1111x2222 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Match First Field and Replace Second Column

Hi Friends, I have looked around the forums and over online but couldn't figure out how to deal with this problem input.txt gene1,axis1/0/1,axis2/0/1 gene1,axis1/1/2,axis2/1/2 gene1,axis1/2/3,axis2/2/3 gene2,axis1/3/4,axis2/3/4 Match on first column and if first column is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to match and replace a string

friends I am struck in a situation where I need to comment a line start with space as below in a file root@LOCALHOST * rw LOCALHOST* r I should comment second line only Any help please (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallak
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace Nth match in a file

I have a situation where a file "config.txt" looks like this Servername: OS: Serername: OS: Servername: OS: .... .... ... Servername: OS: looking for the sed syntax to replace the "Nth" occurrence of Servername (i would apply the same logic to OS as well), want to replace the Nth... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match and replace indirect directory reference using sed

Hi, I need a ksh script to replace indirect directory references in an .ini file with a env variable using sed or awk. The .ini file is for example as such: A=.. B=../ C=../.. D=../../ E=../bin F=../../bin G=../../bin/xml H=../../bin/xml/ Need to replace an instance of .. or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
2 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)