Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to connect Wireless
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Unable to connect Wireless Post 302875217 by cooltoad on Tuesday 19th of November 2013 01:49:46 AM
Old 11-19-2013
Unable to connect Wireless

I have managed to install Broadcom BCM43228 Wireless adapter on a laptop running CentOS 5.9 using instructions at:
wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom

I had the problem "Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A): SET failed on device... mentioned on the same page and solved it following the instructions at:
wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/NetworkManager

After reboot the NetworkManager is enabled showing all the available networks. However, with regular user the request for default keyring password was popping-up again and again and was not accepting any password. I logged in as root and was able to set the keyring password.

When I select the network from drop down menu of NetworkManager a pop-up shows up asking for:
Code:
Authentication required by Wireless Network
Password or encryption keys are required to access the wireless network 'blade'
Wireless security: WPA & WPA Personal
Password:

It fails to connect even I verified the SSID and password is correct which works fine under Windows 7.

I have also tried to configure system-config-network GUI but unable to activate the wireless adapter (eth1) and cannot File->Save the setting with the following error:
Code:
Component: system-config-network
Version: 1.3.99.21
Summary: TBf6c835f4 NCHardwareList.py:482:save:AttributeError: HwWireless instance has no attribute 'type' ...

I also found the following link and now confused (establish a Wifi connection at system startup (without login)...). Do I need to use wpa_supplicant or NetworkManager?
forums.oracle.com/thread/1118672

Can anyone please help to resolve this issue.

Last edited by Scott; 11-24-2013 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Unable to connect to HP-UX 11.11 via eXceed 7.1

Hello HP-UX Gurus, I am having issues trying to start an x-session via eXceed 7.1. When I bring up eXceed via XDMCP Braodcast I see the host name and IP Address but when I try to connect the X window does not come up. I made the modification to the following file “/etc/dt/config/Xaccess”... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smokie
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to connect to Internet

Hi friends recently i have installed SXDE 1/08 into my machine,and i installed wifi driver also its working fine,Recently i was unable to connect to Internet,I have not changed any configurations and any installations,thing is that i got my iwk0 interface is UP and IP address also and i can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas2828
6 Replies

3. IP Networking

my wireless usb adapter connect to net but the signal is very weak

i have wireless usb adapter rtl8187 from micromax company my proplem is the signal is very weak and i cannot open website can i increase the signal ? iwconfig lo no wireless extensions. eth0 no wireless extensions. wmaster0 no wireless extensions. wlan0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsd220
5 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Unable to connect using SFTP

I shall explain the situation that I am facing to the best extent possible. I require some help, as this situation is an urgent one. I am trying to automate sending data from one AIX machine to another. A script runs that tries to push data received from an upstream application to another AIX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
7 Replies

5. Solaris

how to connect to wireless from virtual box

hi everyone... this is my first post here please help me with this..as iam new to solaris i have installed solaris 10 on virtual box.. and am not able to connect to the internet .. is there anyway i can get connect to the net.. please help me step by step if possible... thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yrajendergoud
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Unable to connect SSH from HP-UX

Hi, I'm trying to connect from an HP-UX with SSH2 client(ssh2 3.1.2 on hppa1.1-hp-hpux11.00) to an SSH2 server on a VxWorks system. The SSH connection is failing with the below connection logs: > /usr/local/bin/ssh2 -v -l testuser 10.10.10.10 debug: Ssh2/ssh2.c:1391: Using file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysafi
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Could not connect to wireless network

I run lubuntu from usb (try lubuntu, it's not install on my pc ) And i try to connect to network I see the network name And i put the pass But it's not connect.. I tried to open hot spot on my phone and try to connect and it's not connect I have edumax n150 Try to install new driver -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: popcoern
0 Replies

8. AIX

Unable to connect ASMI

After following the instructions given by resident moderator Bakunin over here https://www.unix.com/aix/279862-installed-memory-32gb-but-shows-only-16gb.html #1 Connect to ASMI #2 Configure the deconfigured memory #3 Start the machine OK, everything is fine, however now cannot connect to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
BWN(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    BWN(4)

NAME
bwn -- Broadcom BCM43xx IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device siba_bwn device bwn device wlan device wlan_amrr device firmware Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_bwn_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The bwn driver provides support for Broadcom BCM43xx based PCI/CardBus network adapters. It supports station and monitor mode operation. Only one virtual interface may be configured at any time. For more information on configur- ing this device, see ifconfig(8). This driver requires firmware to be loaded before it will work. The ports/net/bwn-firmware-kmod port needs to be installed before ifconfig(8) will work. Most cases you need to use bwn_v4_ucode module but if you are a LP (low power) PHY user please uses bwn_v4_lp_ucode module. HARDWARE
The bwn driver supports Broadcom BCM43xx based wireless devices, including: Card Chip Bus Standard Apple Airport Extreme BCM4318 PCI b/g ASUS WL-138g BCM4318 PCI b/g Buffalo WLI-CB-G54S BCM4318 CardBus b/g Dell Wireless 1390 BCM4311 Mini PCI b/g Dell Wireless 1470 BCM4318 Mini PCI b/g Dell Truemobile 1400 BCM4309 Mini PCI b/g HP Compaq 6715b BCM4312 PCI b/g HP nx6125 BCM4319 PCI b/g Linksys WPC54G Ver 3 BCM4318 CardBus b/g Linksys WPC54GS Ver 2 BCM4318 CardBus b/g US Robotics 5411 BCM4318 CardBus b/g Users of older Broadcom chipsets (BCM4301, BCM4303 and BCM4306 rev 2) must use bwi(4) because the v4 version of the firmware does not support these chips. The newer firmware is too big to fit into these old chips. EXAMPLES
Join an existing BSS network (i.e., connect to an access point): ifconfig wlan create wlandev bwn0 inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 Join a specific BSS network with network name ``my_net'': ifconfig wlan create wlandev bwn0 ssid my_net up Join a specific BSS network with 64-bit WEP encryption: ifconfig wlan create wlandev bwn0 ssid my_net wepmode on wepkey 0x1234567890 weptxkey 1 up LOADER TUNABLES
Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.bwn.msi_disable This tunable disables MSI support on the hardware. The default value is 0. hw.bwn.usedma This tunable enables DMA operations on the hardware. If the value is 0, PIO mode would be used. The default value is 1. SEE ALSO
arp(4), bwi(4), cardbus(4), intro(4), pci(4), wlan(4), wlan_amrr(4), ifconfig(8), wpa_supplicant(8) HISTORY
The bwn driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.1. AUTHORS
The bwn driver was written by Weongyo Jeong <weongyo@FreeBSD.org>. CAVEATS
Some LP PHY devices have DMA operation problems that in that case try to use PIO mode. BSD
February 15, 2011 BSD