Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users File Processing: Handling spaces in a line Post 302874515 by Yoda on Friday 15th of November 2013 11:38:46 AM
Old 11-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by baanprog
Iam doing below
Want to remove empty line
Want to remove lines that start with #
When trying to get the substring from the var also Iam having trouble. I dont want to read a line with such substrings.
I noticed that you are using way too many external commands when all of those tasks can be achieved using shell builtins.

Here is an example:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

while read line
do
        # Want to remove empty line
        [[ -z "$line" ]] && continue
        # Want to remove lines that start with #
        [[ "$line" =~ ^# ]] && continue
        # trying to get the substring
        subvar="${line:0:4}"
done < file

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling spaces in unix

I am testing a ksh script for email. In the script I receive several parameters. One of them is a subject. The subject may contain spaces. Ex. Test this. When I am running the script on telnet to test, how should the syntax at the command line be written. I have this: ksh ResendE.sh '001111'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercbw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file line by line and processing for each line

Hi, I am a beginner in shell scripting. I have written the following script, which is supposed to process the while loop for each line in the sid_home.txt file. But I'm getting the 'end of file' unexpected for the last line. The file sid_home.txt gets generated as expected, but the script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file inside awk and processing line by line

Hi Sorry to multipost. I am opening the new thread because the earlier threads head was misleading to my current doubt. and i am stuck. list=`cat /u/Test/programs`; psg "ServTest" | awk -v listawk=$list '{ cmd_name=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 for(pgmname in listawk) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling blank spaces

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes when I am find embedded spaces with in the fields. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,SEX,ADDRESS 1,Robert,74538,12,34, M,Robert Street, NY 2,Sam,07564,13,M,12 Main Ave, CA 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,M,123D ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

handling white spaces with getopt

Hi I'm trying to ensure that I have catered for all situations with my getopt cases. One other situation I want to cover is should the user enter the script without any preceding arguments eg: ./script_eg I need the script to the direct the user to the helpfile I have tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling directory with spaces in for loops

Hi everyone, I have been a big fan here since a couple years (since I started being an admin ...) and finally decided to become a member and help ppl and perhaps being helped Now I have a problem that might interest some of the gurus. I am abig fan of what I call "one liners". I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Remove spaces before processing each line?

Hi, all I have a file containing the following data: name: PRODUCT_1 date: 2010-01-07 really_long_name: PRODUCT_ABCDEFG I want to get the date (it is "2010-01-07" here), I could use the following code to do that: awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] line by line processing the same file

Hey, not too good at this, so I only managed a clumsy and SLOW solution to my problem that needs a drastic speed up. Any ideas how I write the following in awk only? Code is supposed to do... For every line read column values $6, $7, $8 and do a calculation with the same column values of every... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling filenames with spaces

I'm trying to handle some files with spaces in their name using "" or \ . Like "file 1" or file\ 1. My current confusion can be expressed by the following shell script: #!/bin/bash touch "file 1" "file 2" echo -n "ls: " ; ls echo --- for file in "file 1" "file 2" ; do echo $file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
9 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)