Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users File Processing: Handling spaces in a line Post 302874495 by baanprog on Friday 15th of November 2013 10:44:03 AM
Old 11-15-2013
File Processing: Handling spaces in a line

Hi All,

Iam trying to get a file processed and some lines have spaces...the below is not working

Want to remove empty line
Want to remove lines that start with #
Avoid line with substring WHOA
When trying to get the substring from the var also Iam having trouble

file is like VAR=VALUE, an fiel to set environment to be exact

HTML Code:
for var in $(cat -r $file | sed '/^$/d' | grep -v -E ""^\#"" )
do
      subvar=`echo $var | cut -c1-4`
      if [ "$subvar" != "WHOA" ]
      then
                eval export $var
      fi
done
Sample Input

Code:
MONITOR_OFF=YES
DIR=/usr/as/brs
DATADIR=/usr/df/brs
SHELLDIR1=/usr/as/brs
SHELLDIR2=/usr/as/brs
WHOA= %s : %S - %C [%c xxxx]    --- This is the line Iam trying to avoid by substring logic, this has spaces in between, need logic to get only WHOA also from this line

I dont know how to pass the file using while and IFS as Iam doing some stuff before I use it

Regards

Last edited by baanprog; 11-15-2013 at 01:18 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling spaces in unix

I am testing a ksh script for email. In the script I receive several parameters. One of them is a subject. The subject may contain spaces. Ex. Test this. When I am running the script on telnet to test, how should the syntax at the command line be written. I have this: ksh ResendE.sh '001111'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercbw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file line by line and processing for each line

Hi, I am a beginner in shell scripting. I have written the following script, which is supposed to process the while loop for each line in the sid_home.txt file. But I'm getting the 'end of file' unexpected for the last line. The file sid_home.txt gets generated as expected, but the script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file inside awk and processing line by line

Hi Sorry to multipost. I am opening the new thread because the earlier threads head was misleading to my current doubt. and i am stuck. list=`cat /u/Test/programs`; psg "ServTest" | awk -v listawk=$list '{ cmd_name=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 for(pgmname in listawk) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling blank spaces

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes when I am find embedded spaces with in the fields. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,SEX,ADDRESS 1,Robert,74538,12,34, M,Robert Street, NY 2,Sam,07564,13,M,12 Main Ave, CA 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,M,123D ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

handling white spaces with getopt

Hi I'm trying to ensure that I have catered for all situations with my getopt cases. One other situation I want to cover is should the user enter the script without any preceding arguments eg: ./script_eg I need the script to the direct the user to the helpfile I have tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling directory with spaces in for loops

Hi everyone, I have been a big fan here since a couple years (since I started being an admin ...) and finally decided to become a member and help ppl and perhaps being helped Now I have a problem that might interest some of the gurus. I am abig fan of what I call "one liners". I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Remove spaces before processing each line?

Hi, all I have a file containing the following data: name: PRODUCT_1 date: 2010-01-07 really_long_name: PRODUCT_ABCDEFG I want to get the date (it is "2010-01-07" here), I could use the following code to do that: awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] line by line processing the same file

Hey, not too good at this, so I only managed a clumsy and SLOW solution to my problem that needs a drastic speed up. Any ideas how I write the following in awk only? Code is supposed to do... For every line read column values $6, $7, $8 and do a calculation with the same column values of every... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling filenames with spaces

I'm trying to handle some files with spaces in their name using "" or \ . Like "file 1" or file\ 1. My current confusion can be expressed by the following shell script: #!/bin/bash touch "file 1" "file 2" echo -n "ls: " ; ls echo --- for file in "file 1" "file 2" ; do echo $file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
9 Replies
grablogs.conf(4)						   File Formats 						  grablogs.conf(4)

NAME
grablogs.conf - grablogs configuration for libgrablogs.so of the plugins of gnome-system-log file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf DESCRIPTION
The libgrablogs.so is a plugin for gnome-system-log(1), it colloct the log files from the system as many as possible. grablogs.conf is a configuration file that contains a set of lines mixed with sh(1) syntax codes and individual log files. libgrablogs.so will read the file try to get a log files list for gnome-system-log(1). Users can copy the file into $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p` to overwrite the system default one. The grablogs.conf file contains the following configuration categories: [configs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a config file of System. The plugin will open the config file and try to find all system paths of the logs. [commands] Each line under this category is interpreted as a shell command and will be execute through a pipe. And each line of the out- put of the command will be interpreted as a log path. [logs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a log path. FILES
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf The system default configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p`/grablogs.conf The user specific configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so EMAMPLE
[configs] /etc/syslog.conf [commands] for i in `svcs -aH -o FMRI | grep -v lrc `; do svcprop -p restarter/logfile $i 2>/dev/null || svcprop -q -p restarter/alt_logfile $i 2>/dev/null ; done [logs] /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/cron /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/XFree86.0.log /var/log/auth.log /var/log/cups/error_log SEE ALSO
gnome-system-log(1), pipelog.conf(1) gnome-utils 2.16.0 13 Oct 2006 grablogs.conf(4)