Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to loop a text file to remove the old files? Post 302874095 by Subbeh on Thursday 14th of November 2013 05:54:42 AM
Old 11-14-2013
Try something like this:
Code:
xargs -n1 -i@ find /home/etc/@/hist -type f -atime +30 -exec rm -f {} \; < file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbye. Help with KSH. Loop in files and remove first line

Hi everybody. Firstly, sorry for doing such a basic questions, but i have never worked with linux shells and at this moment i am trully desperated :d. I have been checkin' another posts of this forum looking for different things for mixing them and get the solution to my problem, but i have not ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bringer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I remove everything after a certain character in text files?

I have a text file with a few thousand lines in the format: abcdef*ghijk*lmno pqrs*tuv wx*y*z etc. What I want to do is, get rid of everything after the SECOND asterik (the *) in each line (including the asterik). So for the example above, it would look like this after the editing: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some manipulations with files and folders. (loop, find, create and remove)

Hello! I need to realize such task. 1. In my user's home dir I have folder1; 2. In folder1 I have some (various count) subfolders with random names; 3. In these subfolders I have one file anyname.pdf (various name in each subfolder) and file content.txt (constant name in each subfolder) ##... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: optik77
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through text file > Copy Folder > Edit XML files in bulk?

I have a text file which contains lines in this format - it contains 105 lines in total, but I'm just putting 4 here to keep it short: 58571,east_ppl_ppla_por 58788,east_pcy_hd_por 58704,east_pcy_ga_por 58697,east_pcy_pcybs_por It's called id_key.txt I have a sample folder called... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: biscuitcreek
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove common file names from text files

I'm running on freebsd -- with a default shell of csh. I have two files named A and B. Each line of each file contains a file name. How can I write a script that removes all the file names in file B from A. I tried to use perl to create a huge regular expression with "|" separating the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Remove duplicate lines from text files.

So, I have text files, one "fail.txt" And one "color.txt" I now want to use a command line (DOS) to remove ANY line that is PRESENT IN BOTH from each text file. Afterwards there shall be no duplicate lines. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through the dir and Rename zip files and their underlying text file.

I have files in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.zip format under a directory. Each zip file contains A text file in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.txt format. I am trying to create a script that will Rename the zip files and their underlying text file replacing the datepart in them with . For eg: in the case of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash987
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop or while loop from a text file

Hi all, i developed a script to measure the uptime of a process in a Solaris 10/11 environments. All is well, but i came across a situation where there are multiple processes of the same name. Basically i have the following result file: beVWARS 13357 19592122 beVWARS 14329 19591910... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)