Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script? Post 302873695 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 12th of November 2013 07:06:15 PM
Old 11-12-2013
I haven't found file I/O to be flaky in expect, but I must admit I only really use expect to test solutions posted in the forum. I find it a bit of a hacking tool and would prefer to use passwordless ssh for my own work.

The below script should open the server_list file, connect to each server run the configured command ("multibos -S" in this case) and log the output to a file name config_details with a "hostname:" prefix.

Also note: I'm using telnet in this script and you may want ssh or some other command.

Uncomment the log_user 0 line to suppress output once you have finished debugging.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
set timeout 2
set u "souvikm"
set p "passw0rd"
set command "multibos -S"

set hosts [open server_list r]
set config [open config_details w]

#log_user 0

while {[gets $hosts host] >= 0} {
    spawn -noecho telnet $host
    expect "*User_ID*"
    send -- "$u\r"
    expect "?assword*"
    send -- "$p\r"
    send "PS1='PROMPT# '\r"
    expect -re "PROMPT# '(.*)PROMPT# "
    send "$command\r"
    expect -re "\r\n(.*)\r\n(.*)PROMPT# "
    set output $expect_out(1,string)
    puts $config "$host: $output\r"
    send "exit\r"
    expect eof
}
close $hosts
close $config

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 02-25-2017 at 02:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script & sqlplus "plzz help"

hi friends, i m tryin to load data from one set of table to other i have sql procedure al ready for it..! i m going to load the procedure only if data in one of my table for example table "landing " have 10 records each attribute of this table is file_name status date ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kulbir
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh through "expect" in shell script

Hi, I am trying to use "Expect" in shell script to ssh and do some work in remote server but I am unable to connect. Here is the code I am using. #save as test.sh set ip "10.10.10.10" set username "uname" set password "upass" spawn ssh $username@$ip expect "Password:" send... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing username and password to a script running inside "expect" script

Hi I'm trying to run a script " abc.sh" which triggers "use.sh" . abc.sh is nothing but a "expect" script which provides username and password automatically to the use.sh script. Please find below the scripts: #abc.sh #!/usr/bin/expect -f exec /root/use.sh expect "*name*" send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baddykam
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass password to "su account" in script?

Hi, I need to run a test script to check all test accounts, is it possible to pass the password to su in following command? I've got following error: $ echo "${password}" | su ${test_account} -c "check_account.sh" standard in must be a tty Thank you. - j (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD