Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to list folder contents Post 302873395 by vbe on Tuesday 12th of November 2013 04:39:52 AM
Old 11-12-2013
Your welcome! Smilie
Youve learned now why you should avoid dot in PATH for root... ( or if really necessary, be at the end...), otherwise you could very well be a victime of spoofing...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Folder Contents

Hi, I'm trying to allow people to access the contents of a folder on a web site, I am automatically placing files in this folder for people to download. I'm using Apache on Mac OS X, if that makes a difference. Can anyone help with this? I've found no documentation on this so far... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spencer
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy folder contents

I need to make a new dir in side the dir lab5 the new dir is called testLab5 without changing directories copy all files from your lab5 directory into your testLab5 directory then i have to without chaning directories and using exactly one command remove all files that start with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robsk8_99
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display contents of folder when 'cd' is used

Hi, I am a new learner of Unix. I am currently working on a Solaris 8 machine. Earlier, when I use 'cd <folder name>' command, I am not only able to change the folder but also able to see the contents of the folder as if a 'ls -lt' command was executed. However, since a week, suddenly this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumashankar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dtterm to list a folder contents in new window

Hi everyone,:cool: thank you in advance for any help on this I have a dtterm command to open a new small terminal window with a contents of log, and it works fine. dtterm -title "my.log" -geometry =40x30+0+550 -fn 6x13 -e tail -n 40 -f /home/logs/user.log & However what I want to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: golfcents
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy folder and its contents to another folder

Hi experts, I am coming to you with this basic question on copying a folder and its content from one location to another folder using PERL script. This is my requirement. I have a folder AB under /users/myhome I want to copy AB and its contents to /user/workspace. Finally it should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amvarma77
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy all the contents of a list of files present in a folder to a particular file?

Hi All, I want to copy all the contents of a list of files in a folder to a particular file. i am using following command: cat dir/* >> newFile.txtIt's not working. Could you please help? Thanks, Pranav (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove folder contents

for dir in BKP/*/ do echo You are in :$dir done O/P -- BKP/201448/ BKP/201449/ BKP/201450/ BKP/201451/ BKP/201452/ BKP/201501/ BKP/201502/ BKP/201503/ BKP/201504/ BKP/201505/ BKP/201506/ BKP/201507/ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to copy contents

I am trying to move content of a folder usingls /backup/db_backups/INCREMENTAL/|while read file ; do mv $file /backup_LOCAL/db_backups/INCREMENTAL/ done...but when I run this command using a bash script I'm getting this error ./test.sh mv: cannot stat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Best way to move the contents of a folder to another one

what is the best way to move the contents of a folder to another one without deleting the structure of the first one. the contents could include subfolder too. both folder, the source-folder and the target-folder are on the same host. any idea is appreciated . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
7 Replies
HOST.CONF(5)						    Linux System Administration 					      HOST.CONF(5)

NAME
host.conf - resolver configuration file DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/host.conf contains configuration information specific to the resolver library. It should contain one configuration keyword per line, followed by appropriate configuration information. The keywords recognized are trim, multi, nospoof, spoof, and reorder. These keywords are described below. trim This keyword may be listed more than once. Each time it should be followed by a list of domains, separated by colons (':'), semi- colons (';') or commas (','), with the leading dot. When set, the resolv+ library will automatically trim the given domain name from the end of any hostname resolved via DNS. This is intended for use with local hosts and domains. (Related note: trim will not affect hostnames gathered via NIS or the hosts file. Care should be taken to ensure that the first hostname for each entry in the hosts file is fully qualified or unqualified, as appropriate for the local installation.) multi Valid values are on and off. If set to on, the resolv+ library will return all valid addresses for a host that appears in the /etc/hosts file, instead of only the first. This is off by default, as it may cause a substantial performance loss at sites with large hosts files. nospoof Valid values are on and off. If set to on, the resolv+ library will attempt to prevent hostname spoofing to enhance the security of rlogin and rsh. It works as follows: after performing a host address lookup, resolv+ will perform a hostname lookup for that address. If the two hostnames do not match, the query will fail. The default value is off. spoofalert Valid values are on and off. If this option is set to on and the nospoof option is also set, resolv+ will log a warning of the error via the syslog facility. The default value is off. spoof Valid values are off, nowarn and warn. If this option is set to off, spoofed addresses are permitted and no warnings will be emit- ted via the syslog facility. If this option is set to warn, resolv+ will attempt to prevent hostname spoofing to enhance the secu- rity and log a warning of the error via the syslog facility. If this option is set to nowarn, the resolv+ library will attempt to prevent hostname spoofing to enhance the security but not emit warnings via the syslog facility. Setting this option to anything else is equal to setting it to nowarn. reorder Valid values are on and off. If set to on, resolv+ will attempt to reorder host addresses so that local addresses (i.e., on the same subnet) are listed first when a gethostbyname(3) is performed. Reordering is done for all lookup methods. The default value is off. ENVIRONMENT
There are six environment variables that can be used to allow users to override the behavior which is configured in /etc/host.conf. RESOLV_HOST_CONF If set this variable points to a file that should be read instead of /etc/host.conf. RESOLV_SPOOF_CHECK Overrides the nospoof, spoofalert and spoof commands in the same way as the spoof command is parsed. Valid values are off, nowarn and warn. RESOLV_MULTI Overrides the multi command. RESOLV_REORDER Overrides the reorder command. RESOLV_ADD_TRIM_DOMAINS A list of domains, separated by colons (':'), semicolons (';') or commas (','), with the leading dot, which will be added to the list of domains that should be trimmed. RESOLV_OVERRIDE_TRIM_DOMAINS A list of domains, separated by colons (':'), semicolons (';') or commas (','), with the leading dot, which will replace the list of domains that should be trimmed. Overrides the trim command. FILES
/etc/host.conf Resolver configuration file /etc/resolv.conf Resolver configuration file /etc/hosts Local hosts database NOTES
The following differences exist compared to the original implementation. A new command spoof and a new environment variable RESOLV_SPOOF_CHECK can take arguments like off, nowarn and warn. Line comments can appear anywhere and not only at the beginning of a line. SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), hostname(7), named(8), resolv+(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2003-08-23 HOST.CONF(5)