Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing fonts with Acroread
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Changing fonts with Acroread Post 302872485 by Don Cragun on Friday 8th of November 2013 12:27:44 PM
Old 11-08-2013
Some PDF files contains definitions for all of the fonts included in the file; some don't and assume that the fonts used in the PDF file will be available on the system where the file is used. If the PDF file you have does not contain definitions for all of the fonts it is using and some of those fonts are not available on the Solaris box you're using to print the file, acroread will try to pick a similar font. Sometimes that produces output that look like the original file, sometimes it produces distorted text.

When fonts are unavailable, acroread usually pops up a window when opening that PDF file saying that one or more fonts weren't found and it lets you select a replacement for each missing font. If your version of acroread isn't doing that, you might check the Adobe website to see if a newer version of acroread is available for your system.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fonts?

NEWBIE HERE...by default, where are the font files located (ttf's) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geek01
1 Replies

2. Linux

acroread command giving error

Hi, When I run the command acroread it is giving error ERROR: Cannot find installation directory. When I look at /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/ an exicutable file named acroread is there. When i run ./acroread from that directory it is working . What can i do so that I can give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Fonts on SunOS 5.6

I work in a SunOS server. I want to check which is the default font. Actually I need to check which font is using right now in Terminal and how to change it. Please help me suggesting the command set ---------- Post updated 08-23-09 at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous update was 08-22-09 at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting secured pdf files to pdf using acroread

Does anybody have idea of Converting secured pdf files to pdf using acroread ? ---------- Post updated at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:44 PM ---------- This file is not password protected. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
4 Replies
PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont(3pm)

NAME
PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont - base font class METHODS
$font = PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont->new $pdf, $name Returns a font resource object. $font = PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont->new_api $api, $name Returns a font resource object. This method is different from 'new' that it needs an PDF::API2-object rather than a Text::PDF::File-object. $descriptor = $font->descrByData() Returns the fonts FontDescriptor key-structure based on the fonts data. FONT-MANAGEMENT RELATED METHODS $name = $font->fontname() Returns the fonts name (aka. display-name). $name = $font->altname() Returns the fonts alternative-name (aka. windows-name for a postscript font). $name = $font->subname() Returns the fonts subname (aka. font-variant, schriftschnitt). $name = $font->apiname() Returns the fonts name to be used internally (should be equal to $font->name). $issymbol = $font->issymbol() Returns the fonts symbol flag. $iscff = $font->iscff() Returns the fonts compact-font-format flag. TYPOGRAPHY RELATED METHODS
($llx, $lly, $urx, $ury) = $font->fontbbox() Returns the fonts bounding-box. $capheight = $font->capheight() Returns the fonts capheight value. $xheight = $font->xheight() Returns the fonts xheight value. $missingwidth = $font->missingwidth() Returns the fonts missingwidth value. $maxwidth = $font->maxwidth() Returns the fonts maxwidth value. $avgwidth = $font->avgwidth() Returns the fonts avgwidth value. $flags = $font->flags() Returns the fonts flags value. $stemv = $font->stemv() Returns the fonts stemv value. $stemh = $font->stemh() Returns the fonts stemh value. $italicangle = $font->italicangle() Returns the fonts italicangle value. $isfixedpitch = $font->isfixedpitch() Returns the fonts isfixedpitch flag. $underlineposition = $font->underlineposition() Returns the fonts underlineposition value. $underlinethickness = $font->underlinethickness() Returns the fonts underlinethickness value. $ascender = $font->ascender() Returns the fonts ascender value. $descender = $font->descender() Returns the fonts descender value. GLYPH RELATED METHODS
@names = $font->glyphNames() Returns the defined glyph-names of the font. $glNum = $font->glyphNum() Returns the number of defined glyph-names of the font. $uni = $font->uniByGlyph $char Returns the unicode by glyph-name. $uni = $font->uniByEnc $char Returns the unicode by the fonts encoding map. $uni = $font->uniByMap $char Returns the unicode by the fonts default map. $char = $font->encByGlyph $glyph Returns the character by the given glyph-name of the fonts encoding map. $char = $font->encByUni $uni Returns the character by the given unicode of the fonts encoding map. $char = $font->mapByGlyph $glyph Returns the character by the given glyph-name of the fonts default map. $char = $font->mapByUni $uni Returns the character by the given unicode of the fonts default map. $name = $font->glyphByUni $unicode Returns the glyphs name by the fonts unicode map. BEWARE: non-standard glyph-names are mapped onto the ms-symbol area(0xF000). $name = $font->glyphByEnc $char Returns the glyphs name by the fonts encoding map. $name = $font->glyphByMap $char Returns the glyphs name by the fonts default map. $width = $font->wxByGlyph $glyph Returns the glyphs width. $width = $font->wxByUni $uni Returns the unicodes width. $width = $font->wxByEnc $char Returns the characters width based on the current encoding. $width = $font->wxByMap $char Returns the characters width based on the fonts default encoding. $wd = $font->width $text Returns the width of $text as if it were at size 1. BEWARE: works only correctly if a proper perl-string is used either in native or utf8 format (check utf8-flag). @widths = $font->width_array $text Returns the widths of the words in $text as if they were at size 1. STRING METHODS
$utf8string = $font->utfByStr $string Returns the utf8-string from string based on the fonts encoding map. $string = $font->strByUtf $utf8string Returns the encoded string from utf8-string based on the fonts encoding map. $pdfstring = $font->textByStr $text Returns a properly formatted representation of $text for use in the PDF. AUTHOR
Alfred Reibenschuh. perl v5.14.2 2014-03-09 PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont(3pm)