Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to preserve spaces in input fields with awk? Post 302872409 by Armoric on Friday 8th of November 2013 10:09:47 AM
Old 11-08-2013
Blade How to preserve spaces in input fields with awk?

I'm trying to do something pretty simple but its appears more complicated than expected... I've lines in a text file, separated by the comma and that I want to output to another file, without the first field.

Input file:
Code:
file1,item,      12345678
file2,item,      12345678
file2,item,      12345678

In output I've got the following:
Code:
,item, 12345678
,item, 12345678
,item, 12345678

As you can see the spaces before 12345678 are kind of merged into one space only.

My code:
Code:
cat myfile | while read l_line
   do
      v_OutputFile=$(echo $l_line | awk -F',' '{print $1}')
      echo $(echo $l_line | awk -F',' '{OFS = ",";$1=""; print $0}') >> ${v_OutputFile}
   done

The issue seems to come from the echo command that removes the spaces. If I do an echo with the quotes it works well. For instance:
Code:
echo 'file1,item,          12345678' | awk -F, -v OFS="," '{$1="";print $0}'

But I could not find a solution to work this out with the while loop. Even by putting the quotes in my input file, it stills removes the spaces.

Thanks for your help !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find fields with no spaces in value

This is what I need to do I have a file that has a field with values like this 1111 2222 3333 4444 55555 666 333333333 444444444 I need for my command to out put only those fields that do not have spaces in them. So my output for the above file would be 333333333 444444444 how... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preserve byte size of fields while pasting it to other file

Hello I want to set two fields in a text file to be of size 20. how to do it using unix ? eg: ABC.txt Name | City I want Name and City both to be of size 20. Also If I am pasting it in other file the byte size should be preserved.i.e. If I want to append content of ABC.txt to other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve byte size of fields while pasting it to other file in unix

Preserve byte size of fields while pasting it to other file Hello I want to set two fields in a text file to be of size 20. how to do it using unix ? eg: ABC.txt Name | City I want Name and City both to be of size 20. Also If I am pasting it in other file the byte size should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashing201
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk ignores fields with only spaces or empty

Hi, Does any one know how to avoid the scenario where awk ignores the fields having only spaces or empty fields? for instance, Data: "a","b","c","d",""," " code: awk -F, '{ print NF }' File the output I get is 4 instead of 6 do you know how to avoid this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve space in variable of AWK

This seems to be a stupid basic question, but I cant get the space to stick in the awk variable. I do use this command to grep a time range of the log file. cat /var/log/daemon.log | awk '$0>=from&&$0<=to' from="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S -d -24hour)" to="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S)" I now... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - How to preserve whitespace?

Given a file: # configuration file for newsyslog # $FreeBSD: /repoman/r/ncvs/src/etc/newsyslog.conf,v 1.50 2005/03/02 00:40:55 brooks Exp $ # # Entries which do not specify the '/pid_file' field will cause the # syslogd process to be signalled when that log file is rotated. This # action... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve spaces while reading character character

Hi All, I am trying to read a file character by character, #!/bin/bash while read -n1 char; do echo -e "$char\c" done < /home/shak/testprogram/words Newyork is a very good city. Newyorkisaverygoodcityforliving I need to preserve the spaces as thats an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching fields in input but only print line with largest value in specific field

In the below I am trying to use awk to match all the $13 values in input, which is tab-delimited, that are in $1 of gene which is just a single column of text. However only the line with the greatest $9 value in input needs to be printed. So in the example below all the MECP2 and LTBP1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to search based on 5 user input fields

Field1=”” Field2=”” Field3=”” Field4=”” Field5=”” USER INPUT UP TO 5 FIELDS awk -F , '{ if ( $3 == Field1 && $6 == Field2 && $8 == Field3 && $9 == Field4 && $10 == Field5) print $0 }' /tmp/rodney.outD INPUT FILE (Rodney.outD): ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmerrird
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to clean up input file, printing both fields

In the f1 file below I am trying to clean it up removing lines the have _tn_ in them. Next, removing the characters in $2 before the ninth /. Then I remove the ID_(digit- always 4). Finally, the charcters after and including the first _. It is curently doing most of it but the cut is removing $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)