Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use variable in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use variable in bash Post 302872279 by CarloM on Friday 8th of November 2013 05:00:49 AM
Old 11-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanglei_fage
can you explain ?
balajesuri's link gives a better way (and an explanation of why eval can be bad).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH get variable according to name of another variable

Just started BASH scripting, and I tried to make a script 'args' to display all of the arguments that I give to it. #!/bin/bash if then echo "No arguments specified." fi val= for ((i=1; i <= $# ; i++)) do eval "\$val=\$$i" echo "Argument number $i is $var." done However... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: test_test
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the value of one variable to name another variable (in bash)

Hello all, I'm working on a script, and as part of it, I'm trying to create a loop that will run through a stored piece of information a certain number of times pulling out information, and each time create a variable with a unique name that will store that information. I'm sure it's a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash]variable does not keep its value

Hello all, I have this shell script, but do not understand why the variables inside the if block does not keep its value outside. Is it because of the pipe ? How can i fix this problem ? Thank you for helping. local alarm="" local num_alarm=0 local -a alarms ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trickstar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - define a variable

Hello, I would like to define a variable based on another variable: a=5 b$a=100 This does not work. What is the right way to do it? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:33 PM ---------- Found my answer with the search function (did not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - Variable made of variable

Hello, I am struggling with using variable made using "eval". a=4 eval b$a=20 echo $b$a ??? As shown above, I am trying to call back the variable "bX" assuming I do not know the value of "a". How can I do that? I tried several combinations but nothing worked. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in bash help

#aa=xxxx #zz="cc $aa" #aa=gggg #echo $zz out put is cc xxxx if I want to get cc gggg how should I do, I don't want to write zz="c $aa " after aa=gggg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable within variable

Hello, Can I ask how to expand variable that contains another in bash? I need to loop variable within another one like this: RD1=testgrp RD2=testgroup RD3=testgroupfile RD4=tstgroup ... RD40=try2013 DEST=/home/king/finaldir for i in {1..40}; do mv ${RD${i}} ${DEST} done I do not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using RegEx with variable within bash if [[ ]]

I stumbled upon a problem, which I simplified to this: There is a list of numbers, stored in variable $LIST, lets use `seq 5 25` for demonstration. There is a number that should be compared against this list. For demonstration I use user input - read VALUE I am trying to compare RegEx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorbeg
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)