Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract values from a specific column to the end Post 302872159 by Don Cragun on Thursday 7th of November 2013 07:32:50 PM
Old 11-07-2013
Assuming that your input file line lengths don't exceed LINE_MAX limits on your system, the following seems to do what you want:
Code:
awk '{  for(i = 18; i <= NF; i += 2)
                printf("%s%d. %s %s", i == 18 ? "" : " ",
                        (i - 16) / 2, $i, $(i + 1))
        printf("\n");
}' file

If you want to run this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk, or nawk.

PS Is there anything in this script you don't understand?

Last edited by Don Cragun; 11-07-2013 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Add note.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to extract last column of a file and compare the values

Hi, I am new to unix and I need help in solving below mentioned issue, really appreciate ur help. I have a file sam, john, 2324, 07142007 tom, thomson, 2343, 07142007 john, scott, 2478, 07142007 its a comma delimited file, I need to extract the last column from each line and this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vukkusila
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract first column with a specific character

Hi All, Below is the sample data of my files: O|A|571000689|D|S|PNH|S|SI sadm|ibscml1x| I|A|571000689|P|S|PNH|S|SI sadm|ibscml1x| O|A|571000689|V|S|PNH|S|SI sadm|ibscml1x| S|C|CAM|D|S|PNH|R|ZOA|2004 bscml1x| ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selamba_warrior
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract specific values twice in a file

Hi Friends, I have a file with the following values.. xyz.txt,12345.xml abc.txt,04567.xml cde.txt,12134.xml I would like to extract all the 2nd column values twice as shown in the example like 12345,12345.xml 04567,04567.xml 12134,12134.xml Please advice!! In the formus one of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a specific number from an XML file based on the start and end tags

Hello People, I have the following contents in an XML file ........... ........... .......... ........... <Details = "Sample Details"> <Name>Bob</Name> <Age>34</Age> <Address>CA</Address> <ContactNumber>1234</ContactNumber> </Details> ........... ............. .............. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushant172
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract values from column with Perl

Hi everybody I have some problems with PERL programming. I have a file with two columns, both with numeric values. I have to extract the values > 50 from the 2nd columns and sum them among them. The I have to sum the respective values in the first column on the same line and, at the end, I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_elena
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for each different entry in column 1 extract maximum values from column 2 in unix/awk

Hello, I have 2 columns (1st column has multiple entries but the corresponding values in the column 2 may be the same or different.) however I want to extract unique values for each entry in column 1 by assigning the max value from column 2 SDF4 -0.211654 SDF4 0.978068 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate Codes based on start and End values of numbers in a column

Hello All, Could you please help with this. This is what I have: 506234.222 2 506234.222 2 506234.222 2 506234.222 2 508212.200 2 508212.200 2 333456.111 2 333456.111 2 333456.111 2 333456.111 2 But this is what I want: 506234.222 1 506234.222 2 506234.222 2 506234.222 3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: canimba
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific column values

Hi all: quick question! I have the following data that resembles some thing like this: i am tired tired am i what is up hello people cool I want to count (or at least isolate) all of the unique elements in the 2nd column. I have tried this: cut -f 2 | uniq 'input' which does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match file1 and extract specific tag values

File2 is tab-delimeted and I am trying to use $2 in file1 (space delimeted) as a search term in file2. If it is found then the AF= in and the FDP= values from file2 are extracted and printed next to the file1 line. I commented the awk before I added the lines in bold the current output resulted. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to extract values and print at end of each line

In the below perl I am trying to extract and print the values AF1=, the GT value, and F or QUAL diveded by 33 (rounded to the nearest whole #). The GT value is at the end after the GT:PL so all the possibilities are read into a hash h, then depending on the value that is in the line the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
FGETS(3P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							 FGETS(3P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
fgets - get a string from a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char *fgets(char *restrict s, int n, FILE *restrict stream); DESCRIPTION
The fgets() function shall read bytes from stream into the array pointed to by s, until n-1 bytes are read, or a <newline> is read and transferred to s, or an end-of-file condition is encountered. The string is then terminated with a null byte. The fgets() function may mark the st_atime field of the file associated with stream for update. The st_atime field shall be marked for update by the first successful execution of fgetc(), fgets(), fgetwc(), fgetws(), fread(), fscanf(), getc(), getchar(), gets(), or scanf() using stream that returns data not supplied by a prior call to ungetc() or ungetwc(). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, fgets() shall return s. If the stream is at end-of-file, the end-of-file indicator for the stream shall be set and fgets() shall return a null pointer. If a read error occurs, the error indicator for the stream shall be set, fgets() shall return a null pointer, and shall set errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
Refer to fgetc(). The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
Reading Input The following example uses fgets() to read each line of input. {LINE_MAX}, which defines the maximum size of the input line, is defined in the <limits.h> header. #include <stdio.h> ... char line[LINE_MAX]; ... while (fgets(line, LINE_MAX, fp) != NULL) { ... } ... APPLICATION USAGE
None. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
fopen(), fread(), gets(), the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <stdio.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 FGETS(3P)