Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filter non-alpha character with grep/regexp Post 302871731 by bartus11 on Wednesday 6th of November 2013 04:57:36 PM
Old 11-06-2013
Try:
Code:
grep -v "[^ a-z]" input

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep using regexp

I have 2 files called stuff-egress-filter and stuff-ingress filter. There are also files called something like stuff-egress-F/0 I want to match the first two... I tried (i realize there is no filename... I'm piping this from the ls command) grep stuff-*-filter Finds nothing. If I... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts, Can someone help me here: I have a variable which contains a string with "". set var1 {a} set str1 {a is the element i want to match} Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work? ("regexp {a\} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script) Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl RegExp to remove last character from strings

I use SAS (a statistical software) and have to remove last character or the last 1/2 numbers that appear after characters from the string using Perl Regular Expression (which is recognized by SAS). Input: f183ii10 f183ii2 f182ii1 f182ii2 f183iim f22ii f22ii11 f22ii12 pmh4 pmhm Desired... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ospreyeagle
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename - change n'th character of regexp

Hi, I wonder if its possible to do the following task using rename (perl v5.8.8). I want to find filenames matching the specific pattern and then change chosen character of this pattern to a given character, e.g. do the following renaming: regexp: 'ab' -----> 'a0b' What's the simplest... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pms
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt with regexp-meta character

Hi, I am learning reg exp a bit :) Meta char info: {n,m} Matches the preceding character at least n times but not more than m times, for example, 'ba{2,3}b' will find 'baab' and 'baaab' but NOT 'bab' or 'baaaab'. Values are enclosed in braces (curly brackets). Input file: 112 11112... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with grep regexp

My input file looks like this: 13154|X,the deer hunter 13154|Y,the good life 1316|,american idol 1316|,bowling 1316|,chuck etc... The X, Y, or any other character (besides a comma) after the pipe is a "Device Type". I want to strip out lines that do not have a device type. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwinsk
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A help in regexp and grep

I have test string value , something like the one below str='KUAMRJIT|GHOSH' If I type echo $str | grep -o -e '\|+' it doesnt give me anything . But on the contrary echo $str | grep -o -e '|' display the only one pipe character(|) thats there in the string above . The way I understood Unix... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp for string that might contain a given character

I'm probably just not thinking of the correct term to search for :-) But I want to match a pattern that might be 'ABC' or '1ABC' there might be three characters, or there might be four, but if there are four, the first has to be 1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnojr
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)