Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script - ENV Variable context problem using su Post 302871713 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 6th of November 2013 03:55:02 PM
Old 11-06-2013
I suspect that /root/bin/mysql* currently doesn't match any files so the shell is leaving it unexpanded whereas /home/user/bin/files_copy* does match files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash env variable containing @

I want to set a bash env variable which has @ in its name, for example, @YOGESH@ may i know how do i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yogesh Sawant
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

context lost problem

there are several same servers(process) on more than one server(machine) providing the same service. we store session/context within the server(process), if the same client login, he will be directed to the very server service for him last time. But, if a server(machine or process) down, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhongyj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get env variable from last script

I have 2 scripts t2.sh calls t1.sh. I need to get the vaule of a env variable from t1.sh /tmp/test$ cat t1.sh #!/bin/sh INSTANCE="font/fc-cache" export INSTANCE svcadm disable ${INSTANCE} /tmp/test$ cat t2.sh #!/bin/sh . /tmp/test/t1.sh echo ${INSTANCE} The above works... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set/Export Env Vars from with Shell Script With Input Variable

I have a shell script I want to run that will set environment variables based on the value of an input variable submitted when the shell script is called. For example: $ mgenv.sh prod This would set environment variables for prod $ mgenv.sh test This would set environment variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brtaylor73
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem in Unix Env. in Shell script

sdir;csp os_lib-0.5.24;bdir;cbpdob ---enable-useosstl os_lib-0.5.24;mbp os_lib-0.5.24; If i run this command in unix shell directly it is running. sdir;csp HA_util-0.0.7;bdir;cbpdob ---enable-useosstl HA_util-0.0.7;mbp HA_util-0.0.7; HA_util === Configuring source package HA_util... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to set/get shell env variable in python script

greetings, i have a sh script that calls a python script. the sh script sets an env variable BIN: export BIN=bin64i need to get that BIN variable's value and use it within this python script. anyone know how to do this? thanx in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
5 Replies

8. Web Development

Deny from env=env-variable Does not work

(Above from Apache docs). On my system, using: SetEnvIf User-Agent Mozilla IsBad=1 Order allow,deny Allow from all Deny from env=IsBad ...I see that environment variable is set (using phpinfo()) but the page is still served. No errors in the Apache logs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnurob
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash, Dynamic Variable Problem >.<

Hello, I have a problem with a bash script, I've been doing recherches but i can't make it work. It is my first time with a dynamic variable and i don't understand how to write it. #!/bin/bash USER=BARSPIN HOTKEYS_PATH="/home/$USER/Documents/bash/tibia/HOTKEYS" CFG1="A" CFG2="B"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barspin
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH script to export var to env

Hi all I am trying to create a script that takes a password input then writes that to a tmp file and puts that tmp file path in my env as a var. It does everything but export the my env and I am unsure why. I am using Ubuntu 12.4 #!/bin/bash read -s -p "Enter Password: " gfpassword... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koikoi
5 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)