Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help in adding a string at the end of each line and append files vertically Post 302869287 by yogendra.barode on Wednesday 30th of October 2013 04:03:49 AM
Old 10-30-2013
Hi,

You can use following command.
Code:
sed 's/$/,unix/' file1 file2

Thanks

YB Smilie

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-30-2013 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO Append String to End of Line

I have a comma delimited text file and need to appened ",000000" to the end of every line. For example: Before: "D700000","2006" ,"5000","Open Year" ,"Conversion" ,"Wk64","Productive Payroll $" ,1103.45 After: "D700000","2006" ,"5000","Open Year" ,"Conversion" ,"Wk64","Productive Payroll... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bggibson
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search directory-find files-append at end of line

Hi, I have a command "get_data" with some parameters in few *.text files of a directory. I want to first find those files that contain this command and then append the following parameter to the end of the command. example of an entry in the file :- get_data -x -m50 /etc/web/getid this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I append a string at the end of a line in a file

Hi, guys. I have one question: I have a file called "group", the contents of it is below: ******************************** ... test:x:203: sales:x:204: repair:x:205: research:x:206:brownj ... *********** Now I want to add string ",sherrys" at the end of "research:x:206:brownj", so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a string at the end of every line in a file

Hi Friends, I have a file with many lines as shown below. /START SAMPLE LINE/ M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\java\build.xml@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\port\Post.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\switchview\View.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a /END SAMPLE LINE/ I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmattam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append the end of each line in a file with a given string

Hi friends, I have a file containing many lines as follows. M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\java\build.xml@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\ADBasicView.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a I would like to append the string "\0" at the end of each line in the file. The output should look... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a certain line and append text to the end of the line

After I create printer queues in AIX, I have to append a filter file location within that printers custom file. within lets say test_queue.txt I need to find the row that starts with :699 and then I need to append on the end the string /usr/local/bin/k_portrait.sh. Now I've gotten the sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peachclift
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string, then append character to end of that line only

I have 2 files that I am working with $ cat file1 server1 server3 server5 server6 server8 $ cat file2 server1;Solaris; server2; SLES; server3;Linux; server4; Solaris; server5;SLES; server6;SLES; server7;Solaris; server8;Linux; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoman1
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding info to end of line if two columns match from files with different separators

I have two files (csv and vcf) which look exactly like this S1.csv func,gene,start,info "exonic","AL","2309","het" "exonic","NEF","6912","hom"S1.vcf ##fileinfo #CHROM POS ID INFO chr1 4567 rs323211 1/1:84,104,99 chr4 2309 rs346742 1/1:27,213,90 chr6 5834 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarah_19
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append this string to end of each line

Platform: Solaris 10 I have a file like below $ cat languages.txt Spanish Norwegian English Persian German Portugese Chinese Korean Hindi Malayalam Bengali Italian Greek Arabic I want to append the string " is a great language" at end of each line in this file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
3 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)