Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell to display portion of a line Post 302869275 by ghosh_tanmoy on Wednesday 30th of October 2013 02:22:44 AM
Old 10-30-2013
Shell to display portion of a line

1st I am trying to display all the lines from GMDCOM.27936.log.txt in the below format.

Code:
[36812974    [Tue Oct  1 13:32:40 2013]]

How do i display all the records from the file GMDCOM.27936.log.txt in the above format. File is attached in the previous post.

I was trying the below code. but its not working.

Code:
cat $file | cut -d ' ' -f 10

Code:
awk 'NR==1 { print 36812974:", $1, $2, $3 } ' trial

Last edited by ghosh_tanmoy; 10-30-2013 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: What i tried.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erasing portion of line with sed

hi, I'm trying to use sed to erase everything, and including the ending parenthesis. For example: input: blah blah blah (12355)this is what i want. output: this is what i want. how would i do this? i found an example online that does the opposite: sed \"s|test.*||g\" file1 > file2"; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammaman
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erasing portion of line with sed (only once)

hi, I'm trying to use sed to erase everything, up to the first parenthesis. for example: input: blah blah blah (aldj) test (dafs) test test. output: (aldj) test (dafs) test test. how would i do this? I was fooling around with the parenthesis, and i only got it to apply on all parenthesis.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display a portion of lines from file

This is truly dummy question. I have a text file of 100 lines. What unix commnad to extract line 20 to 40 and output it to another file? Is it something cat or grep or >> ? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk program to select a portion of a line

Hi all, I am new to awk programs.I have a file like this vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anju
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting a portion of a line seperated by pipe delimiter

Hi, In the below line a|b|10065353|tefe|rhraqs|135364|5347575 dgd|rg|4333|fhra|grhrt|46423|urdsgd Here i want to cut the characters in between the second and third pipe delimiter and then between fifth and sixth delimiter and retain the rest of the line. My output should be ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a portion of a line using shell scripting

Hi all, I am new to awk programs.I have a file like this 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: asgdfdasdfhhfd-asdfasd-dsfasdf |0.678|0.0|0.213 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: ashhfd-asdfasd-dsfasdf |0.129|0.0|0.411 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: asd-aasd-dasdf |0.223|0.0|0.276 I want to delete the text which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loy81
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a portion of a line

Hi, I am facing a little problem... I have a line like this : asdcvashfasashXXXXxxxzxcadd:sdcashjqdasdsmgdkdaxdsnd; I want to print just a portion of line i.e starting from left 5 characters from ":" and upto ";" i.e. in this case it would be "xcadd:sdcashjqdasdsmgdkdaxdsnd;" The length of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print portion line in SED

Hi, This is more a theoretical question, because I usually solved that with perl or even java, but I would like to know if it exists an easy way to do it with SED. Using regular expresions it's very easy to select an portion line. Does it exist an easy way for printing those portions in SED?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: islegmar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a portion of line

Mysql log has something like: I want to grep only the portion "ernie-1328697839.1233158" from each line. How to do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract a portion of string from each line in Linux

Hi I have to extract the destination path information from each record the file is of variable length so I will not be able to use the print command.The search should start on variable "destinationPath" and it should end at immediate "," also the first field has to be printed Input File:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkakitapalli
7 Replies
DBI::Shell(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     DBI::Shell(3)

NAME
DBI::Shell - Interactive command shell for the DBI SYNOPSIS
perl -MDBI::Shell -e shell [<DBI data source> [<user> [<password>]]] or dbish [<DBI data source> [<user> [<password>]]] DESCRIPTION
The DBI::Shell module (and dbish command, if installed) provide a simple but effective command line interface for the Perl DBI module. DBI::Shell is very new, very experimental and very subject to change. Your milage will vary. Interfaces will change with each release. TO DO
Proper docs - but not yet, too much is changing. "/source file" command to read command file. Allow to nest via stack of command file handles. Add command log facility to create batch files. Commands: load (query?) from file save (query?) to file Use Data::ShowTable if available. Define DBI::Shell plug-in semantics. Implement import/export as plug-in module Clarify meaning of batch mode Completion hooks Set/Get DBI handle attributes Portability Emulate popular command shell modes (Oracle, Ingres etc)? COMMANDS
Many commands - few documented, yet! help /help chistory /chistory (display history of all commands entered) /chistory | YourPager (display history with paging) clear /clear (Clears the current command buffer) commit /commit (commit changes to the database) connect /connect (pick from available drivers and sources) /connect dbi:Oracle (pick source from based on driver) /connect dbi:YourDriver:YourSource i.e. dbi:Oracle:mysid Use this option to change userid or password. current /current (Display current statement in the buffer) do /do (execute the current (non-select) statement) dbish> create table foo ( mykey integer ) dbish> /do dbish> truncate table OldTable /do (Oracle truncate) drivers /drivers (Display available DBI drivers) edit /edit (Edit current statement in an external editor) Editor is defined using the enviroment variable $VISUAL or $EDITOR or default is vi. Use /option editor=new editor to change in the current session. To read a file from the operating system invoke the editor (/edit) and read the file into the editor buffer. exit /exit (Exits the shell) get /get (Retrieve a previous command to the current buffer) go /go (Execute the current statement) Run (execute) the statement in the current buffer. This is the default action if the statement ends with / dbish> select * from user_views/ dbish> select table_name from user_tables dbish> where table_name like 'DSP%' dbish> / dbish> select table_name from all_tables/ | more history /history (Display combined command and result history) /history | more option /option [option1[=value]] [option2 ...] /option (Displays the current options) /option MyOption (Displays the value, if exists, of MyOption) /option MyOption=4 (defines and/or sets value for MyOption) perl /perl (Evaluate the current statement as perl code) quit /quit (Leaves shell. Same as exit) redo /redo (Re-execute the previously executed statement) rhistory /rhistory (Display result history) rollback /rollback (rollback changes to the database) For this to be useful, turn the autocommit off. /option autocommit=0 table_info /table_info (display all tables that exist in current database) /table_info | more (for paging) trace /trace (set DBI trace level for current database) Adjust the trace level for DBI 0 - 4. 0 off. 4 is lots of information. Useful for determining what is really happening in DBI. See DBI. type_info /type_info (display data types supported by current server) AUTHORS and ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS The DBI::Shell has a long lineage. It started life around 1994-1997 as the pmsql script written by Andreas Konig. Jochen Wiedmann picked it up and ran with it (adding much along the way) as dbimon, bundled with his DBD::mSQL driver modules. In 1998, around the time I wanted to bundle a shell with the DBI, Adam Marks was working on a dbish modeled after the Sybase sqsh utility. Wanting to start from a cleaner slate than the feature-full but complex dbimon, I worked with Adam to create a fairly open modular and very configurable DBI::Shell module. Along the way Tom Lowery chipped in ideas and patches. As we go further along more useful code and concepts from Jochen's dbimon is bound to find it's way back in. COPYRIGHT
The DBI::Shell module is Copyright (c) 1998 Tim Bunce. England. All rights reserved. Portions are Copyright by Jochen Wiedmann, Adam Marks and Tom Lowery. You may distribute under the terms of either the GNU General Public License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file. perl v5.8.0 2002-11-29 DBI::Shell(3)