Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk problem with syntax
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk problem with syntax Post 302869055 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 29th of October 2013 02:38:26 PM
Old 10-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySmart
your assumption is right on target! thank you.

i just thought of a different possibility, what happens if i want to exclude (for the string 'lemons') all lines that contain the word 'only'?

so in your output, if the lemon lines containing 'only' are excluded, then, the count should be:

Code:
dogs=4,lemons=2

The trivial way is to special case "lemons" and "only" by changing the line:
Code:
                if ($0 ~ a[w])

to:
Code:
                if ($0 ~ a[w] && (a[w] != "lemons" || $0 !~ "only"))

But, if you decide to change basic logic in your original requirements, you should consider whether you need to redesign everything so that each counted pattern has a list of zero or more exclusions that should be considered. (And, I'm not going to try to guess at your new requirements and propose a new syntax for your sw variable to make that happen.)

Quick prototyping works well sometimes. But, sitting down and clearly defining your requirements before you start programming will usually give you a much more coherent, maintainable piece of software that works better and does what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

dear friends, I have a large size file containg two fields data like this *** **** 122 222 ***** ***** ***** ***** 232 233 i have file like this. i want to remove blank lines from file . i think awk is servive this problem i wrote a awk command but the error is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

Dear friends, I am writing shell script in csh . i want to make arthimatic operation in csh. i wrote sysntax like this. set val = 230 set tmp = `0.1 * $val + 300` echo $tmp but it is not working . anyone please give me syntax. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remote awk syntax problem

Hi there If i run this command on my Linux box directly, i get the desired result # ipmitool fru | gawk '!NF{f=0}/mb.net0.fru/{f=1}/Product Serial/&&f{print $NF}' 00:AA:4F:A6:A6:C4 however, if i try to run it from a remote server (using SSH) and populating a variable with the result,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

4. Programming

Syntax Problem in Query

Hey guys, i am having a problem in my query statement. I am using Mysql in Netbeans and c++. What i am trying to do is for the user to enter a certain value and then the program will store the value into the database... string NewMovie ; Cout <<" Enter your new movie : " << endl ; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gregarion
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with syntax using awk

Hi Guys, When below code is executed in script, I get desired output in output file. awk 'NR >= $start_line && NR <= 3' master_scriptlist.txt > $driver1/scriptlist.txtBut when i replace 3 with a variable end_line=3, I do not get ouput. See code below. Is there any problem with syntax awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk syntax

Hi, Below is the code I am using. I am trying to list only those numbers which has a + symbol in it cat num | awk -F"+" '{if (/^$/) { } else {if ( $0 ~ egrep "^+$" ) { if ( $0 ~ grep "+" ) {print $0} } }}' I am getting the following error: awk: 0602-521 There is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax Problem with awk

Hello, I have perl script,which take some part of data in the file. the below command works fine in normal cmd prompt. `awk '/CDI/ && // && !/Result for/ {print $3 $5 > "final.txt"}' datalist.txt`; `nawk -F"" '{print $2}' finalcdi.txt`; But not working. Please use code tags, thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasingraj
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk syntax error problem asking

Input file: 703 1192 720 1162 316 380 1810 439 1969 874 Desired output file: 3 3 awk code that I tried: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with if-else syntax

I'm calling the following if-else from nawk. But I keep getting an error at the "else". I've tried putting more brackets and ; but still I get complaints about the "else". Any ideas ? Thanks, wbrunc BEGIN { FS = "," ; OFS = "," } { if ( $8 ~ /A/ && $9 == B ) $1="4/29/2013" ; $2="J.Doe"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbrunc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax problem

Hi, I am using this awk command in my shell script : find . -name "*" -ctime -6 | xargs cat | grep -E -v ^fileName\|^\(\) | awk -v DATE="${CURR_DATE}" -v DATE_LOG=$DATE_SYS 'BEGIN {FS=";";OFS=";";CONVFMT="%.9g";OFMT="%.9g"}... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi1988sri
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)