Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert a two-column list into a csv Post 302868759 by RudiC on Monday 28th of October 2013 05:08:22 PM
Old 10-28-2013
This will work for your sample file; not sure it will for larger files/ many columns = intermediate output files. You may need to close files then. XYZ is a prefix dreamt up to distinguish intermediate files; modify if need be. Try:
Code:
awk '!Arr[$1]++ {print $1 > "XYZ_"$1} {print $2 > "XYZ_"$1}' file; paste -d, XYZ_*; rm XYZ_*
process_nameA,process_nameB,process_nameN
valueA,valueB,valueN
valueA,valueB,valueN

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a line from a csv file and convert a column to all caps

Hello experts, I am trying to read a line from a csv file that contains '.doc' and print the second column in all caps. e.g. My csv file contains: Test.doc|This is a Test|test1|tes,t2|test-3 Test2.pdf|This is a Second Test| test1|tes,t2|t-est3 while read line do echo "$line" |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

return a list of unique values of a column from csv format file

Hi all, I have a huge csv file with the following format of data, Num SNPs, 549997 Total SNPs,555352 Num Samples, 157 SNP, SampleID, Allele1, Allele2 A001,AB1,A,A A002,AB1,A,A A003,AB1,A,A ... ... ... I would like to write out a list of unique SNP (column 1). Could you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoeberunner
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert huge .xml file in .csv with specific column.

I have huge xml file in server and i want to convert it to .csv with specific column ... i have search in blog but i didn't get any usefully command. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk read column csv and search in other csv

hi, someone to know how can i read a specific column of csv file and search the value in other csv columns if exist the value in the second csv copy entire row with all field in a new csv file. i suppose that its possible using awk but i m not expertise thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giankan
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a two column list of date pairs form a single column list

Hi all, looking for some help here. I'm what you'd call a dirty programmer. my shell scripts might be ugly, but they (usually) function... Say I have a single column text file with a list of dates (yyyymmdd) that represent the elevation of a point on that date (I work with land subsidence, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrandt1979
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the values from a certain column without deleting the Column name in a .CSV file

(14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to convert IP range csv into a list of single IP's

Hi All, I am looking for some help to convert a csv with IP ranges in.. in the format e.g. 1.1.1.2, 1.1.1.5 2.1.1.10, 2.1.1.20 and would be looking to output as follows: 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3 1.1.1.4 1.1.1.5 2.1.1.10 2.1.1.11 etc etc up to 2.1.1.20 I have tried a few google... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zippyzip
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get maximum per column from CSV file, based on date column

Hello everyone, I am using ksh on Solaris 10 and I'm gathering data in a CSV file that looks like this: 20170628-23:25:01,1,0,0,1,1,1,1,55,55,1 20170628-23:30:01,1,0,0,1,1,1,1,56,56,1 20170628-23:35:00,1,0,0,1,1,2,1,57,57,2 20170628-23:40:00,1,0,0,1,1,1,1,58,58,2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk or Shell script to compare Column-1 of two different CSV files and print if column-1 matche

Example: I have files in below format file 1: zxc,133,joe@example.com cst,222,xyz@example1.com File 2 Contains: hxd hcd jws zxc cst File 1 has 50000 lines and file 2 has around 30000 lines : Expected Output has to be : hxd hcd jws (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestPractice
5 Replies
look(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   look(1)

NAME
look - Finds lines in a sorted list SYNOPSIS
look [-df] [-tcharacter] string [file] The look command prints all lines in a sorted file that begin with string. OPTIONS
Uses dictionary order; only letters, digits, tabs, and spaces are used in comparisons. Searches without regard to case; treats uppercase and lowercase as equivalent. Ignores character and characters following it in the search string. If you specify look -tC ABCDE, the string ABCDE would become (in effect) AB, with CDE being ignored. This option is primarily for shell scripts, in which more than one string is being processed. DESCRIPTION
If no file is specified, look searches in the system word list /usr/share/dict/words, with the options -df assumed by default. The look command uses binary search. The -d and -f options affect comparisons as in sort. NOTES
In order to use the -f option, you must first sort file with the sort -f command; otherwise, look displays only lowercase items. If you do not specify -f, but specify a file (such as /usr/share/dict/words) that has been sorted with sort -f, look may not produce any output. EXAMPLES
To search a sorted file called sortfile for all lines that begin with the string as, enter: look as sortfile To search the system word list for all words beginning with smi, enter: look smi This might result in: smile smirk smith smithereens Smithfield Smithson smithy smitten FILES
System word list. SEE ALSO
Commands: grep(1), sort(1), spell(1) look(1)