Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sqlplus inside shell script writing to tmp file Post 302868189 by Don Cragun on Saturday 26th of October 2013 12:57:15 PM
Old 10-26-2013
The 1st thing to ask yourself is why doesn't every user on your system have permission to create files in /tmp?

Then you can look at your documentation for sqlplus. Is there an option to specify a different location for temp files?

Many UNIX and UNIX-like utilities that use non-trivial amounts of temporary file space will look for a TMPDIR environment variable. If $TMPDIR expands to the name of a directory and sqlplus uses the conventional meaning of TMPDIR, it will put temporary files in the directory named by $TMPDIR instead of in /tmp. So, you could try something like:
Code:
TMPDIR=/path/to/tmp_directory sqlplus args...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

writing to /tmp

Hi all, I need your help. I am using Linux - Mandrake 8.x version. Somehow, the system /tmp directory became unwritable. What can be the problem is this case I am trying to write to /tmp and the permission right for this dir are: drwxrwxrwt 20 root root 1024 Mar 16 17:26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing Enter key inside in shell script

for automating telnet using shell script..... as we enter alphabetic characters inside shell script...how can we do the same for the enter key......Is there any character for the enter key so the enter key need not be pressed manually...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! writing shell script with c++ file

how would i write a shell script to count number of one-line comments in a c++ file. please help with coding thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadleg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for a writing the directory structure to a file

Hi All, I am new user of shell scripting has come up with a problem. that I have a directory structure like : Home | |--------A | |----trunk | |-------A_0_1/ | | | |-------A_0_2/ | |--------B | ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

(Urgent):Creating flat file using sql script and sqlplus from UNIX Shell Script

Hi, I need help urgently for following issue. Pls help me to resolve this issue. I am calling sql script file(file1.sql) from UNIX Shell Script(script1.ksh) using sql plus and trying to create flat file that contains all records returned from SQL query in SQL script(file1.sql) I given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to remove spaces while writing to the file

Hello Folks, I want to get the results from a SQL query which needs to be exported to a .txt file. My Script is something like #!/bin/ksh db2 connect to DATABASE user user_name using pwd; touch test.txt isResult=0; isResult= `db2 -x select 'ABC',COL_B from TABLE_A WHERE COL_B=CONDITION`... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing shell script file

I am trying to prompt the user using tput command to read the information ( 5 last names, first names and grades) from the keyboard. Save the data in a file called student.txt. Sort the file by last name and display it on the screen My pseudocode is as follow: Pseudocode: Initialize... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jestaton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while using sqlplus command inside 'if' condition in an unix shell script

Hi all, I am using the below given sqlplus command in my unix script to invoke a stored procedure which returns a value .It works fine. RET_CODE=$(/opt/oracle/product/10.2.0.4.CL/bin/sqlplus -S $USER/$PASSWD@$DB_NAME <<EOF EXEC MY_PKG.MY_SP (:COUNT); PRINT COUNT; commit; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shri123
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format the output from sqlplus while writing to log file.

Hi I have developed bash script to connect to database and execute .sql files. I am logging some statements in to log file using echo. While logging I am adding the date in front of the log statements which makes sense. I am unable to add date in front of output from the sqlplus and sqlldr,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtymvvs
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with writing into a file through shell script

Hi all, I have a shell script which I use to login to the server from the client and then from the server I run a bunch of other scripts to complete my task. I am having problems with the script below- #!/bin/bash while read line do connections=`echo $line | cut -d " " -f 1` period=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joydeep4u
3 Replies
mktemp(1)							   User Commands							 mktemp(1)

NAME
mktemp - make temporary filename SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-dtqu] [-p directory] [template] DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility makes a temporary filename. To do this, mktemp takes the specified filename template and overwrites a portion of it to create a unique filename. See OPERANDS. The template is passed to mkdtemp(3C) for directories or mkstemp(3C) for ordinary files. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique filename, the file (or directory) is created with file permissions such that it is only read- able and writable by its owner (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. mktemp allows shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the PID as a suffix and used that as a temporary filename. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this guaran- tees that a temporary file is not subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. Use mktemp instead. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -p directory Use the specified directory as a prefix when generating the temporary filename. The directory is overridden by the user's TMPDIR environment variable if it is set. This option implies the -t flag. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t Generate a path rooted in a temporary directory. This directory is chosen as follows: If the user's TMPDIR environment variable is set, the directory contained therein is used. Otherwise, if the -p flag was given the specified directory is used. If none of the above apply, /tmp is used. In this mode, the template (if specified) should be a directory component (as opposed to a full path) and thus should not contain any forward slashes. -u Operate in unsafe mode. The temp file is unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3C), but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is discouraged. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: template template can be any filename with one or more Xs appended to it, for example /tmp/tfile.XXXXXX. If template is not specified, a default of tmp.XXXXXX is used and the -t flag is implied. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using mktemp The following example illustrates a simple use of mktemp in a sh(1) script. In this example, the script quits if it cannot get a safe tem- porary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/example.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 2 Using mktemp to Support TMPDIR The following example uses mktemp to support for a user's TMPDIR environment variable: TMPFILE=`mktemp -t example.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 3 Using mktemp Without Specifying the Name of the Temporary File The following example uses mktemp without specifying the name of the temporary file. In this case the -t flag is implied. TMPFILE=`mktemp` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 4 Using mktemp with a Default Temporary Directory Other than /tmp The following example creates the temporary file in /extra/tmp unless the user's TMPDIR environment variable specifies otherwise: TMPFILE=`mktemp -p /extra/tmp example.XXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 5 Using mktemp to Remove a File The following example attempts to create two temporary files. If creation of the second temporary file fails, mktemp removes the first file before exiting: TMP1=`mktemp -t example.1.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMP1" ]; then exit 1; fi TMP2=`mktemp -t example.2.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMP2" ]; then rm -f $TMP1 exit 1 fi Example 6 Using mktemp The following example does not exit if mktemp is unable to create the file. That part of the script has been protected. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q -t example.XXXXXX` if [ ! -z "$TMPFILE" ] then # Safe to use $TMPFILE in this block echo data > $TMPFILE ... rm -f $TMPFILE fi ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mktemp with the -t option: TMPDIR. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), mkdtemp(3C), mkstemp(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. The Solaris implementation uses only as many `Xs' as are significant for mktemp(3C) and mkstemp(3C). SunOS 5.11 10 Jan 2008 mktemp(1)