Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print words starting at particular positions Post 302867071 by Soham on Wednesday 23rd of October 2013 11:11:55 AM
Old 10-23-2013
Thanks apmcd47 and Chubler_XL. Works nice.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting & Stop print services in Unix

Hi There Kindly inform me on how to start and stop the print services in Unix from the command line. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print starting 3rd line until end of the file.

Hi, I want to Print starting 3rd line until end of the file. Pls let me know the command. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smc3
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print only last two words of a line

can u help me out to print last two words of each sentence of a file. for example. contents of input file: i love songs my favourite songs sent songs all kind good buddy Ouput file should contain: love songs favourite songs sent all kind good buddy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words starting from a matching word in a line

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: wwwe 1 ioie ewew yyy uuu 88 erehrlk 4 ihoiwhe lkjhassad lkhsad yyy mmm 45 jhash lhasdhs lkhsdkjsn ouiyrshroi oihoihswodnw oiyhewe yyy ggg 77 I want to remove everything after "yyy" and including "yyy" from each line in the file. So I want:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to print line starting with particular word

Hi Geeks, Consider this line: driver=c:\folder1\folder2 The above line is contained in a variable say 'var' . I want to copy everything after 'driver=' in to another variable say var2. Please tell me how can this be done. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script replace positions if certain positions equal prescribed value

I am attempting to replace positions 44-46 with YYY if positions 48-50 = XXX. awk -F "" '{if (substr($0,48,3)=="XXX") $44="YYY"}1' OFS="" $filename > $tempfile But this is not working, 44-46 is still spaces in my tempfile instead of YYY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: halplessProblem
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract words starting with a pattern from a file

Hi Guys.. I have a file and i want to extract all words that starts with a pattern 'ABC_' or 'ADF_' For example, ABC.txt ---- INSERT INTO ABC_DLKFJAL_FJKLD SELECT DISTINCT S,B,C FROM ADF_DKF_KDFJ_IERU8 A, ABC_LKDJFREUE9_FJKDF B WHERE A.FI=B.EI; COMMIT; Output : ABS_DLKFJAL_FJKLD,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramod_009
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the words starting with 3-

OS : Oracle Linux 6.5 Shell : bash I have a file whose contents look like below. I want to count the number of occurences of strings starting with 3-. How can I do this ? I couldn't wordwrap the below line. Hence it looks long. '3-90892405251', '3-90892911050', '3-90893144163',... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for words starting and ending with

im trying to search for a WORD in a file which begins with a number followed by a hypen follwed multiple words and end with a dot "." and pront the entire line which matches the above. Please note that there is a space at the begining of each line i/p file 19458 00000-CONTROL-PARA.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
5 Replies
nice(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   nice(3)

NAME
nice - Changes the scheduling priority of a process LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc) Berkeley Compatibility Library (libbsd) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int nice( int increment); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: nice(): XSH4.2 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies a value that is added to the current process priority. You can specify a negative value. DESCRIPTION
The nice() function adds the value specified in the increment parameter to the nice value of the calling process. The nice value is a non- negative number; a higher nice value gives the process a lower CPU priority. When you are using the Standard C Library version of the nice() function, the maximum nice value for a process is 39 (2 * {NZERO} -1) and the minimum is 0 (zero). Requests for values outside these limits result in the nice value being set to the corresponding limit. [XPG4-UNIX] If execution of the Standard C Library nice() function fails, the system does not alter the specified priority. Any process can lower its priority (numerically raise its nice value). A process must have superuser privileges to raise its priority (numerically lower its nice value). [Tru64 UNIX] For backward compatibility, a version of the nice() function is supported that allows nice values in the range of -20 to 20. Requests for values above or below these limits result in the nice value being set to the corresponding limit. To use the backward-compat- ible version of nice(), compile with the Berkeley Compatibility Library (libbsd.a). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the nice() function returns the new nice value minus 20 ({NZERO}). Otherwise, the function returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The Standard C Library version of nice() sets errno to the specified values for the following conditions: The calling process does not have appropriate privilege. [Tru64 UNIX] The libbsd.a version of nice() sets errno to the same values as the setpriority() function. For information about possible return values for the setpriority() function, see setpriority(2). RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: exec(2), getpriority(2), setpriority(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off nice(3)