Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Trouble with files being saved as root. Post 302866689 by Corona688 on Tuesday 22nd of October 2013 02:45:48 PM
Old 10-22-2013
Why do they need to be root? Perhaps that could be addressed from the other end, fixing the need for root-owned files.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble renaming files

I am trying to add an temporary extension to the end of all files under a certain directory that contain a certain substring within their name. I've tried using a pipe by doing "ls -R -1|grep "*substring*"|mv -S a=.tmp . ." but realized that won't work because mv doesn't accept input from stdin... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VashTheStampede
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tranfer an OS/ Unix (from old HD to new HD / include all files saved )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How can I tranfer an OS/ Unix (from old HD to new HD / include all files saved ) Could anyone help me out. :confused: Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vietnam
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

only root's crontab gets not saved

Hi, Something funny is happening over here: when a regular user edits his cron-file (crontab -e) saves and exits vi the correct new cron-file gets installed and saved to disk. But if root does the same, vi saves it but if I then check the cron-file it has the previous contents! I did strace (==... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flok
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble pasting multiple files together!!

Hi, I would like to paste multiple files together into one large file. I have 23 of them and I would like to link them on a common variable without writing all the file names out (like in a simple join). Each has about 28,000 columns, but only 17 rows. So the final product would be a single file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etownbetty
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where alias saved?

step 1 # alias alias cp='cp -i' alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias ll='ls -l --color=tty' alias ls='ls --color=tty' alias mv='mv -i' alias rm='rm -i' alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' step 2 # cat ~/.bashrc # .bashrc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script Not getting Saved

Hi , Script File Is Not Getting Saved This Are The Steps I Am Following For Saving And Executing A Script 1). vi ( To Open Vi Editor ) 2). vi filename ( vi firstprog.ksh) #!bin\kash date 3) !wq :( Saving And Quit) When I Am Saving The Scrpit I Am Getting The Below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble with deprecated files

I apologize if I am "over-posting" in this forum; I know little about this stuff and I have several software programs that I must install. I have found this forum to be extremely helpful. Anyways, I am trying to install ZThreads on my computer (Mac OS X 10.7.3). When I run "make" it returns with: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Continued trouble matching fields in different files and selective field printing ([g]awk)

I apologize in advance, but I continue to have trouble searching for matches between two files and then printing portions of each to output in awk and would very much appreciate some help. I have data as follows: File1 PS012,002 PRQ 0 1 1 17 1 0 -1 3 2 1 2 -1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
STICKY(7)					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual						 STICKY(7)

NAME
sticky -- sticky text and append-only directories DESCRIPTION
A special file mode, called the sticky bit (mode S_ISVTX), is used to indicate special treatment for directories. It is ignored for regular files. See chmod(2) or the file <sys/stat.h> for an explanation of file modes. STICKY DIRECTORIES
A directory whose `sticky bit' is set becomes an append-only directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is restricted. A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the directory and the user is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the super-user. This feature is usefully applied to directories such as /tmp which must be publicly writable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod(1) for details about modifying file modes. HISTORY
A sticky command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Neither open(2) nor mkdir(2) will create a file with the sticky bit set. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD