Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to capture 3 digit return code of ftp?? Post 302866505 by Little on Tuesday 22nd of October 2013 07:06:06 AM
Old 10-22-2013
How to capture 3 digit return code of ftp??

is it possible to capture the 3 digit return code of ftp commands in a local variable inside a shell script?

Code:
Code:
ftp remoteserver << EOFTP 
    quote USER uid
    quote PASS pass
    prompt
    cd remote_directory
    mput file.txt
    bye
EOFTP

in the above script, if cd command returns 550 in case of failure and 226 in case of success. same way mput also returns.. how cn i capture these return codes.

Last edited by Little; 10-23-2013 at 12:37 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

return code on ftp if filesystem full??

Does anyone know what the return code will be if an ftp fails because the /var/tmp filesystem is full? AIX 4.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Oracle return code in shell script

I am using the following code in my shell script list=`sqlplus -s $user/$pwd@$dbms<<EOF WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT SQL.SQLCODE set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select * from control_tbl where src_nm=$3 and extrct_nm=$4; exit SQL.SQLCODE; EOF` ERROR=$?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
1 Replies

3. Programming

getting the return code of forked child process (ftp)

Hi, From within my C++ program, I fork a child process and execl an ftp session (solaris), like this : std::string szStartCmd = "ftp -i -n -v 192.168.149.31"; int nExecRes = execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", szStartCmd.c_str(), (char *)0); I use 2 pipes to communicate between my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KittyJ
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture ftp return code..PLZ HELP

Hi all, i have written a code to ftp a file from one server to other.The ftp is happeneing successfully,but i am not able to capture the return code,to check if ftp has failed. plz help me to find out the return code....this is urgent below is the code i have written... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anju
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Return Code

Hi All, I have a problem to identify the error code thrown by FTP Server while uploading files. The message is : ftp return 32. I couldn't find out what is the meaning of that. :confused: OS is Sun Solaris 2.10. Anyone can help? Thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

No return code in ftp mget script

I have a automated FTP script that gets a file using mget. I am using mget because the date will change on the file frequently. The mget works, however if I incorrectly type the file (e.g. if I want to get /dog123 and I enter /dg*) I do not receive and error code from in the FTP session. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dog123
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

ftp return code not working

below is my code , but for some reason the return part is not working, only file transfer is happening and no exit status is checked .please me help me to fix this code #!/bin/sh #set -vx ftp -nv sitelocation << ! user username password lcd localdir cd /remote dir mget *.* ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing files and capture return code

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files, and have a return code write to a file. regardless of the files contents are the same the code should be writing to a file (if both files contents are same then return code 0). A simple example will be great :) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khchong
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture script return code?

Hi I am executing database backup via shell script (Korn). The backup log is long, but I would like to capture only the last line so I can send an email if it fails Example of failed backup (only last 3 lines) BR0056I End of database backup: bejbofoh.aff 2012-07-26 07.31.21 BR0280I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to retry FTP commands if unsuccessful and capture the failure status code.

I am using the below code to ftp file onto another server FTP_LOG_FILE=${CURR_PRG_NAME}- ${FTP_FILE}-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.log ftp -ivn ${FTP_HOST} ${FTP_PORT} << ENDFTP >> ${EDI_LOG_DIR}/${FTP_LOG_FILE} 2>&1 user ${FTP_USER} ${FTP_PSWD} lcd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
2 Replies
ftp(4)								   File Formats 							    ftp(4)

NAME
ftp - FTP client configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/ftp DESCRIPTION
Use the ftp file to configure the behavior of the FTP client. Lines that begin with a hash symbol ("# ") are treated as comment lines and are ignored. Behavior Directives The ftp file supports the following behavior directives: FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST=yes | no The ls command of the ftp client sends an NLST to the FTP Server by default. Several non-Solaris clients send LIST instead. In order to make the Solaris ftp client send LIST when the ls command is issued, set FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST to no. The value of FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST is yes by default. If the user sets a value for FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST in the user's environment, this value will override any FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST directive that is specified in /etc/default/ftp. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbipr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftp(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Oct 2002 ftp(4)