Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Error while updating the crontab Post 302865397 by samnyc on Friday 18th of October 2013 10:30:36 AM
Old 10-18-2013
[Solved] Error while updating the crontab

When I update the crontab, I get error message. Any idea?

Code:

0 0-23 * * * /usr/local/scripts/monitor.sh > /dev/null    ( BEFORE)

*/5 * * * *  /usr/local/scripts/monitor.sh > /dev/null  (Now) it doesn't allow me to save the work.

Error message...
Code:

crontab: */5 * * * * /usr/local/scripts/monitor.sh > /dev/null
crontab: error on previous line; unexpected character found in line.
crontab: warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Error updating profile

I'm trying to update my profile with a temp e-mail address. This is a hotmail e-mail address and it wont allow it. The reason for this is I've changed my service with my ISP since I've moved :D and well I've gone form Cable to DSL :mad: Now my e-mail accounts are still there but I can't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Error updating Firmware in X4500

I have X4500 machine with solaris 10 OS and software version 5.10. The firmware version is 1.1.1 and I am planning to upgrade the firmware. C H A P T E R 1 - Flash Upgrading Your Server to Software Release 1.2 I referred to the above link to do so. But, I do not understand what is the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] crontab scheduling

Hi, We can schedule a new job using crontab -e. is there any other way to achieve the same(opening the file directly and add an entry). I have tried to access /var/spool/crontabs directory. But i am getting permission denied error, Please help me. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] echo not updating double quotes in output

Hi , I have a script to update firefox proxy. But the echo is not updating the double quotes. paste /home/names.txt /home/ip.txt | while read i j do mkdir $i echo "user_pref("network.proxy.http", "$j");" >> /home/$i/prefs.js echo "user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8080);" >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Solved] Crontab not launching script

Hi all, i have the following script #!/bin/sh for i in `ps -leaf --cols 1024 | grep LogUser | grep -v grep | awk '{print $4}'`; do echo $i kill -15 $i; done; but it seems that the crontab its sciping this script,i configured corntab as following */30 * * * root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Shell script not working in crontab

Hi Iam running below script in crontab but its not working. #!/bin/sh cd /Scripts /usr/local/bin/expect -f /Scripts/bng_backup.exp /Scripts/data.txt tar -cf bngbackup.tar bngbackup ;gzip bngbackup.tar when iam running manually the output file is generating..but bngbackup.tar.gz file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: surender reddy
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Crontab

Hi I need my script to run at 7:30, 7:40, 7:50 & 8:00 AM. Defined like: 30,40,50 7,8 * * * sh myscript.sh But this runs even at 8:30, 8:40, 8:50 - which I don't need.. Please advise. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log file is not updating when I run shell scripts scheduled thru crontab

Hi Forum, Good Day! I have created an empty html file wtih permissoin 777 created shell script(with permission 777) , code is below. #=======================start============== . /data09/oracle/apps_st/appl/D_oraapp095.env rm -rf /home/mnp/Test_log.txt echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartheekbk
1 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)