Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issues with ksh
Operating Systems Linux Issues with ksh Post 302865011 by gacanepa on Thursday 17th of October 2013 01:06:40 PM
Old 10-17-2013
You can find out which shells you have installed by running the following command:
Code:
gacanepa@debian:~$ cat /etc/shells
# /etc/shells: valid login shells
/bin/csh
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/es
/usr/bin/ksh
/bin/ksh
/usr/bin/rc
/usr/bin/tcsh
/bin/tcsh
/usr/bin/esh
/bin/dash
/bin/bash
/bin/rbash
gacanepa@debian:~$

You can display your current shell by echoing the SHELL environment variable:
Code:
gacanepa@debian:~$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
gacanepa@debian:~$

Hope it helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SU issues

Hi, I have automated a build process that does the following activities. 1. check out code from cvs to a specific directory 2. build the revision checked out with 'ANT' 3. integrate the compiled code with the QA/UAT or new environment (/apps/QA or /apps/UAT or /apps/new directory) I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script -text file processing NULL issues

I'm trying to strip any garbage that may be at the end of my text file and that part is working. The problem only seems to be with the really long lines in the file. When the head command is executed I am directing the output to a new file. The new file always get a null in the 4096 position but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geauxsaints
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

KSH Login issues

Hi In my environment User have csh have default shell. In some cases some users requires KSH. We are using NIS as well as some local users. here my problem is recently in some of sun servers if users who have ksh as a default shell are trying to login with putty the session terminated after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkesineni
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh

Hi , What is the diffence between executing the script like ./myscript.ksh . ./myscript.ksh I have found 2 difference but could not find the reason 1. If i export a variable in myscript.ksh and execute it like . ./myscript.ksh the i can access the other scripts that are present in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

different behaviour for ksh and ksh -x

I'm getting different behaviour when executing below script in debug option. $ cat ss.ksh ff=$(pwd) echo " ff : $ff" $ ksh ss.ksh ff : /tmp $ ksh -x ss.ksh + + pwd ff= + echo ff : ff : I was getting this behaviour in my actuall script i'm able to reproduce this in simple script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckybalaji
4 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

rm -rf issues

We are using the solaris server and if i am using rm -rf to delete the directories its asking the confirmation for each and every file inside the directory.Is there any way to disable ( should not ask the confirmation) only for a particular session? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshbabuc
12 Replies

9. HP-UX

HPUX KSH for loop issues.

Wrote a KSH script on a RHEL server and moved it over to the HPUX server and it is not liking a loop that I put together. Here is the simple form of it that does not work in KSH: for x in {0..$VARIABLE_NAME} do echo $x done This works: for x in {0..10} do echo $x ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake0391
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail issues

Hi, I'm having some problems with sendmail in Linux. The thing is when I type the following command to send an e-mail: sendmail bartoszk@companydomain.pl< test.txt it looks like it executed but I don't receive the mail. The file test.txt looks like that: To:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartoszk
3 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)