Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy files matching multiple conditions Post 302864261 by CarloM on Wednesday 16th of October 2013 07:35:01 AM
Old 10-16-2013
Must be a user error, my name's not Carol! Smilie

What's your OS? If it's SunOS/Solaris then try /usr/xpg4/bin/find.

EDIT: Actually, it's probably just the Path-List that was missing from your original command. Try:
Code:
 find . \( -iname "abc*" -o -iname "def*" \) -exec cp -i -t ~/test {} \;

Last edited by CarloM; 10-16-2013 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: filename typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help]RegEx, Putty, Copy Files Insensitive Matching, SSH

Alright, basically we're in the whole where we can't tar/gzip a folder since its to big so how do I copy files to a new folder for example I got files from a-Z, i want to copy all files which starts with a A or a into another folder heres file structure ./backups/A ./backups/B... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lamonte
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching for following conditions

Hi all, i want a pattern which satisfies the following conditions like a-z A-Z 0-9 / or _ and it's limit of 64 characters since i tried using $1="/var" grep -E '{64}' "$1" When i tried this for bourne shell, it shows error because grep cannot be used of -E. suggest me if u have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandagopal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy multiple files

Hi i have 1000 files is a directory, which are serially numbered (file1,file2,file3...). I would like to copy every 200 files to different directories. many thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy multiple files

Hi, I am facing this problem, however i am not finding any solution. Kindly help I have the list of files to be search , i need to search for those files and copy the files to a folder. Really its urgent. MG_0281.JPG Tdfa_0077.JPG The%20SirehSet%20Geduing%20KpgGlam%20.jpg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umapearl
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy all files matching the request and change the extension at the same time

Hi everyone When I'm starting my script I'm giving to it two parameters: script.sh ext1 ext2 I need to copy all files in a directory fitting ext1, to the same folder, with the same names, but with the changed extension to ext2. Till now I've just managed to do it for only 1 file, but I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vacuity93
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with matching entries in multiple files

Hi, I am pretty new to Linux and I have a question. I have 3 tab delimited text files which look like this: FileA: PROTEINID DESCRIPTION PEPTIDES FRAMES GB://115298678 _gi_115298678_ref_NP_000055.2_ complement C3 precursor 45 55 GB://4502027 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vavad
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching multiple fields from two files and then some?

Hi, I am working with two tab-delimited files with multiple columns, formatted as follows: File 1: >chrom 1 100 A G 20 …(10 columns) >chrom 1 104 G C 18 …(10 columns) >chrom 2 28 T C ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbp
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: matching multiple fields between 2 files

Hi, I have 2 tab-delimited input files as follows. file1.tab: green A apple red B apple file2.tab: apple - A;Z Objective: Return $1 of file1 if, . $1 of file2 matches $3 of file1 and, . any single element (separated by ";") in $3 of file2 is present in $2 of file1 In order to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print fields that match using conditions and a default value for non-matching in two files

Trying to use awk to match the contents of each line in file1 with $5 in file2. Both files are tab-delimited and there may be a space or special character in the name being matched in file2, for example in file1 the name is BRCA1 but in file2 the name is BRCA 1 or in file1 name is BCR but in file2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy subfolder and files to matching directory

The bash executes but returns no results and the set -xv showed while the $run variable in blue, was extracted correctly, the $match value in green, was not, rather both values in home/cmccabe/Desktop/f1 were extracted not just the matching. There will always be an exact match from the $run to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
GENPLOTFILES(1) 						      colplot							   GENPLOTFILES(1)

NAME
genplotfiles - utility to help automate creation of collectl plot file from raw ones SYNOPSIS
/opt/hp/colplot/genplotfiles.pl -outdir [-switches] DESCRIPTIONS
This utility is not intended to meet all plot file creation needs, but quite frankly should meet most. Features not provided with this utility are best realized by running collectl directly in playback mode (see collectl -p). It is therefore important to understand what this utility will and will not do for you before building an automation strategy around it. The algorithm used is fairly simple - genplotfiles examines each collectl raw file to see it it falls within the data ranges (if specified) and contains a matching hostname (if specified). If a plot file already exists, the timestamps are compared and the raw file skipped if its newer than the plotfile. Any raw files that pass all these tests are then passed to collectl with their timestamp wildcarded. The result is all raw files for that host/date will be processed. This means if you copy over collectl raw files multiple times over the course of the day using rsync, you can immediately genererate up-to-date plots for them using genplotfiles. Furthermore, you won`t even need any date parameters if the older plot files are alreay up to date. For an example of what a cron job that aggregates multiple collectl logs onto a single system for plotting purposes, see crontab.sh in the same directory as this script. SWITCHES
All switches are optional with the exception of -outdir: -colbin path-to-collectl This points to collectl and is only necessary if /usr/sbin is not in your path or you`ve chosen to install collectl in a non-stan- dard directory. -debug number Primarily for development, will provide intermediate processing information based on its value. See souce for details. -force Always generate plot files even in there is an existing one that is newer than the latest raw file. This will be necessary if you want to rerun this script and just change the value of -subsys. -help Print a summary of available switches. -host string Only process files that contain this string in their hostname portion of the filename. -indir directory Directory where to look for collectl logs. The default is /var/log/collectl and is therefore only necessary if your logs are in a non-standard location. -outdir directory Directory into which to write the plottable files. This field is required. -fromdate date Ignore files with a datestamp in their name less that this value. The default is 20050101 and so defaults to all files. The value of `yesterday` is also recognized to simplify scripts that call this. -thrudate date Ignore files with a datestamp in their name with a datestamp greater than this value. The default is the current day and one can also specify a value of `yesterday`. -subsys string Instead of using the default subsystems for which data was collected, generate output files based on this set. There are basically two reasons for doing this. The first is that you may want to reduce the size of the plot files, though with compression there is rarely much point in this. The second is if you`ve asked collectl to collect summary data but want to plot detail data. See the colplot FAQ for more information. AUTHOR
This program was written by Mark Seger (mjseger@gmail.com). Copyright 2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. SEE ALSO
LOCAL
OCTOBER 2005 GENPLOTFILES(1)